aquarium for sale questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking into buying this aquarium I found on Craigslist. It's a 65 gallon aquarium with a wooden stand and canopy w/ built in lights. The stand and canopy were bought at an aquarium store. Looks like a nice setup to me. He says it has a built in overflow and a 10g sump in the stand... (I believe this is for a filtration system but I think it's for one that's designed to be connected or piped in... right?) He also says he doesn't have a pump for the wet/dry because the old one stopped working, so I'd have to get another one of those if I use that method of filtration. I've been checking out the canister types a little but is it worth me looking into them or is the wet/dry going to work? I have no way of piping water to the tank if that method of filtration requires it. (Sorry for all the questions but this is all a little new to me.) Another thing I'm wondering about is that the back of the tank is painted a light blue color... anyone ever done or heard of this? He says he painted it himself... don't know if I really like that but not sure how easily, or possible, it will be able to be removed.

Anyway, entire setup is $350 OBO. What you think?

Thank you for any help!!!

I'm honestly not too sure if 350 is a good price for that, especially if you don't like the paint, which may or may not be easy to remove. I found a 55 gallon with stand, hood, light, filter for 50 dollars on craigslist, but I'm not suer how much more expensive it would be for a 75. A few weeks after I found my 55, another aquaiurm, this one a 70 or 75 or something was 150, with hood, stand, etc. So, I'm thinking maybe you can do better? I know a lot of people do paint the back of their tanks. I looked into it, but decided I'm too indecisive to try it. It is a common thing to do though I think.

Personally I think you can get a better price on a used tank. FWIW, the paint could be scraped off the back, depending on how careful you are, there would be minimal or no scratching of the glass. Of course I work in an autobody shop so I have quite a bit of experience using razor blades to remove paint from different surfaces. It would be a bit of work though. If it were me I'd keep looking.

Ya, I would make a counter offer and use the painted back as a launching point. It also sounds like the tank is drilled (sump/wetdry) which is mostly for SW tanks.

Yea i have a brand new 65 ordered that i'm picking up on thurs/friday that includes the wood stand and glass tops and 36' light strip for only 300 brand new, so thats not really a good deal you have there, I'd keep looking if i were you.

Yea, gonna keep looking. Thanks for the feedback. I have a bad habit of being impatient and an impulse buyer... not a good mix!

Def. look elsewhere, I got my 60gal, stand, light, 40gal sump, live sand, for $160 on craigs.

Back
Top Bottom