Aquarium heating in a very cold room.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaholicsWorld

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here is the situation: I live in Denver, CO and I recently I had to move into a basement on extremely short notice due to circumstances outside of my control.

There are two issues I'm dealing with and the first is the most important: the average temperature in the basement is approximately 60 degrees sometimes down to 50. I have no control of the temperature of the basement as the a/c controls are upstairs and I have no access to the upstairs (separate tenant). I have a 100w in a 55gal, 40w in a 20, 25w in a 10,
Ans a 15w in a 5. These are only able to bring the temperature up to barely 72. The fish aren't happy but are surviving. Any body have any suggestions for a solution?

The second is this: it is a very old house and the largest circuit available to me is a 15amp circuit. In addition to the mentioned heaters I have 2 aqueon air pumps, a Marineland magnum 250 filter, a Zoomed turtle filter, 5 circulation pumps, and about 100w of lighting. Im not sure how much I can add before the circuit gets overloaded.

Any thoughts you guys have on these two issues would be greatly helpful.

Thanks!
-AquaholicsWorld

I like Aqueon pro heaters..I have over 25 in one fish room.
In this link Under User Guidelines it clearly tells you the watts needed to raise the tank "X" degrees above a room temp of 68 -72. Since your room may be cooler I would bump up one higher or have 2 of the recommended size.
The 5 g may be the hardest to keep steady in a cool room.
I use 100w in my 10s and 50w in my 5.5g
My fish is warm possibly due to all the water and heaters? I never throw a breaker in the room with lights filters and heaters in about 25 tanks.
https://www.aqueonproducts.com/-/me...e-heater_instructions_all-sizes-pdf.pdf?la=en

Can you talk to the tenant upstairs and let them know you're freezing your buns off and see if they can turn it up for you?

Same problem I face. Being in Dubai is very hot and inside its freezing because of AC. If we lower AC I feel hot and since my shrimp tank have no lid so even when room temperature is 21 Celsius the tank temperature drops to 17 or 16 Celsius because AC air throw is directly there. I am using a 100 watt for 6 gallon which is not a good idea because shrimps don't like sudden temperature changes but mine when goes to 24 which I set and trips off water temperature suddenly drops to two three degrees before heater starts again. I used a 50 watt and it didn't work. You can use a 50 watt. 15 watt is surely very very low for a room with AC on all the time.

I'd be checking w/local laws. In my area, a unit has to stay at a certain temperature - as in the landlord has to provide you w/the ability to regulate heat/AC to keep you at a comfortable temperature. I certainly wouldn't be happy w/a constant temperature of 60 degrees...

I'd be checking w/local laws. In my area, a unit has to stay at a certain temperature - as in the landlord has to provide you w/the ability to regulate heat/AC to keep you at a comfortable temperature. I certainly wouldn't be happy w/a constant temperature of 60 degrees...

No doubt on that one.

If you're really concerned for the fish than purchase a properly powered heater.. as mentioned above.. aqueon pro provides info. Great heater imo

What I would do is block the cold air from coming into the room by removing register cover(s) and plug the duct with a towel or rags

What I would do is block the cold air from coming into the room by removing register cover(s) and plug the duct with a towel or rags
I do this in my fish room during the summer..(y)
I remove air duct and stuff a towel in it and re install it closed...
It should help IMO.

Back
Top Bottom