aquarium hood sizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - I have a 75 gal tank set up for two turtles. The top frame has a divider down the middle, and is designed to take two 24" hoods. I didn't buy the hoods when I got the aquarium, thinking that the old one I had would fit. Come to find out, the frame is an odd-size, and for the last year or so, I've made do with the light across the width of the tank, not the length.

So now I'm in the market for a 24" hood, but I can't remember the maker of the aquarium. The top is 48x18, but like I said, is divided and set up for two 24" hoods. The frame openings are 22 1/8" x 16 3/8", and everything I've seen on the market so far has been 23 1/4".

Anyone have any thoughts about what the brand may be? I can't find a label or company name anywhere. Or, does anyone know where I could find hoods/covers?

Thanks!

More than likely the tank is an All-Glass tank. Does the center piece have a slight groove?

If it is, then a hood is quite easy to find. The hoods are in fact a little shorter than 24 and comes with small plastic ends that you can cut openings in to allow your tank equipment access.

J - it looks exactly like the aquarium you posted in the Fluval 404 thread (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52174)

same divider. there's a little bit of a line down the middle... not sure if it's the same 'groove' you mentioned. You think an all-glass hood would fit? the frame opening dimensions listed on the box for the all-glass 24" hoods were 23 1/4"... I measured mine at 22 1/8". Is that just a difference in measuring point?

There is usually a tag at the bottom of the tank that has the name of the assembler. The tag usually has an icon associated with the company. I believe the perfecto icon is an anchor like the one here. http://www.perfectomfg.com/

I'm not sure what the All-Glass icon is, but I'm pretty sure JChillin is right. I bought an All-Glass canopy for my 75G Perfecto and the lid was too small.

I just came back from PetCo and All-Glass tanks have "AGA" printed on the tag

tjash said:
J - it looks exactly like the aquarium you posted in the Fluval 404 thread (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52174)

same divider. there's a little bit of a line down the middle... not sure if it's the same 'groove' you mentioned. You think an all-glass hood would fit? the frame opening dimensions listed on the box for the all-glass 24" hoods were 23 1/4"... I measured mine at 22 1/8". Is that just a difference in measuring point?

*Pays to check threads at AA*

Yes, the description is the same. There's an old saying: "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a duck" LOL.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The hood is shorter than the tank. They supply small plastic extensions for the rear which you modify/cut to accept your equipment.

Back
Top Bottom