aquarium hood sizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - I have a 75 gal tank set up for two turtles. The top frame has a divider down the middle, and is designed to take two 24" hoods. I didn't buy the hoods when I got the aquarium, thinking that the old one I had would fit. Come to find out, the frame is an odd-size, and for the last year or so, I've made do with the light across the width of the tank, not the length.

So now I'm in the market for a 24" hood, but I can't remember the maker of the aquarium. The top is 48x18, but like I said, is divided and set up for two 24" hoods. The frame openings are 22 1/8" x 16 3/8", and everything I've seen on the market so far has been 23 1/4".

Anyone have any thoughts about what the brand may be? I can't find a label or company name anywhere. Or, does anyone know where I could find hoods/covers?

Thanks!

Why not build a hood that goes the whol lenght of the tank? Your dimensions dont sound all that odd. most modern 75gal tanks will be split in the middle. This is basicly a brace to support the front and back glass from bowing from the pressure of the water.

If you dont want to build your own, take those measurements and go to a local pet store or aquarium store and look at all their hoods and try to find the one that could fit, some hoods that are made now are actually adjustable....good luck! :D

I've thought about building/buying a hood or top to cover the whole thing, but I haven't come up with a workable solution yet. One side has a basking lamp over a slate shelf that I built into the aquarium. The shelf is at water level, two sides fixed to the glass, and the front corner supported by a log. The other side is open water. So, I don't really want to cover the whole thing because I need to keep that shelf exposed to heat/light. I want to cover the other side for aesthetics and to slow evaporation. I'll try to post some pictures once I figure that process out.

I think I'll hit PetSmart tomorrow and see what they have. I bought hoods last year, got them home, realized they didn't fit, and then lost the receipt by the time I got around to taking them back. Bleh. Hopefully I'll either get the right one this time, or remember where I put the receipt!

Back
Top Bottom