Aquarium in small bedroom = bad for health?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one of my aquariums in my bedroom. It's a 36 gallon freshwater. It's about 3-4 feet away from my bed. There is always a higher level of humidity in that bedroom than anywhere in the house. You can feel it as soon as you step into the bedroom. I've been wondering if its actually bad for my lungs with the moisture always present in the room.

Anyone?

many cases its better for you. i have a 120 about 2 feet from my bed no problem. the only thing that you might worry about is mold. try putting a fan in the room blowing it out.

Why would mold be an issue? I don't get it. Wouldn't everyone that has an aquarium need to worry about it then? Mold needs constant moisture to thrive. If the water is staying in the tank (ideally), you won't have mold issues.

Mold can be a problem in small rooms with large tanks, or multiple tanks. Mainly it is due to the excess humidity. People with in-wall tanks have to treat the wood and drywall surrounding the area to prevent mold. I doubt with a 36 gallon, in any sized room, you would have a problem.

I have a 50g tank in my bedroom (smallest bedroom in the house) and don't have any problems with health issues (haven't been sick in over a year and a half, knock on wood). The only issue you may run into is if during the summer months your room heats up which in turn will heat your tank. That goes for any room but because it is a smaller room, the temperature can change pretty suddenly. I have an air conditioner that I put in my room and run on a schedule to combat the hot summer months here in Philly. Water chillers are another option but they cost mucho dinero.

I defineatly don't think its an issue, especially if you have hoods on your tank as those are designed to keep the moisture in. Also if you keep your waterlevel high enough you won't have to deal with water splashing. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would not advise anyone to keep a large fish tank in a small room because of the high humidity that will cause molding. Have you seen busted houses where illegal marijuana were grown? These houses literally have to be torn down to their skeleton because everything else is permanently damaged by the humidity. This is an extreme case, but you get the idea.

Aside from molding issues, I don't think humidity would cause you any lung problems. In fact, I have asthma and one thing that has always been suggested by my doctors is to do my exercises in a high humidity environment because it is better for my lungs. I'm no expert, but I can't imagine it would be bad for a healthy persons lungs when it is ok for the lungs of someone with asthma.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be hooking up my portable A/C in a few days as it's getting hot out here in So Cal...this will help with the humidity.

In my room I have a 2.5g, 2-10g tanks and a 5g tank. My room is reallty small too, like maybe 12 or 14 by 10 or something like that hahaha. Haven't had any problems with them *knock on wood* lol.

Back
Top Bottom