Aquarium Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Every time I turn on my aquarium light my Black Skirt Tetras start to freak-out and swim all over, running into the glass. Then they hide behind a plant. Will they start to get accustomed to the light?

It is a 20" fluorescent hood.

Is the room dark when you turn the aquarium light on? Try opening a curtain or turning on an overhead room light or lamp first. Allow about 10 minutes to let the fish get adjusted to the ambient light, then turn on the tank light.

Try turningother lights in the room on first. So they dont get shocked as much. They will adjust to the ight.

It's kind of a dark corner of the house, I will put a lamp over there and see if that helps. Thanks.

You could also provide your fishes some cover with floating plants. that way the light won't be so super bright for them neither. If you have live plants make sure your floating plants won't get to dense and take all the light away from other plants :wink: .

Also try and turn them on at the same time every day, or get a timer. That way they sort of know when to expect lights on.

I toke window tint and tinted the glass cover so from the inside of the tank looking up at the light isn't so bright. It hardly changed the light out put, but made a huge difference looking up at the light. Natural light isn't as bright as a fluorescent. I tend to think its less stressful on the fish this way. Same reason of tinting car windows. Although, I also beleave its sudden light shock.

Back
Top Bottom