Aquarium not cycled after 2 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve also found that new tanks can have a lingering low ammonia - less than 0.25 but worse than tap. It eventually goes and should be ok with fish

Hello again,

I was getting ready to add some fish this afternoon by performing a large water change (around 90%) to get rid of all remaining nitrates, but even after this huge water change my nitrate levels do not seem to have come down at all and are still around 80ppm.

What’s happening? I’ve retested several times, and made sure I thoroughly shook the test liquid as the instructions said for over a minute, but all results are coming back as 80ppm.

Ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0, only the nitrate is letting me down.

If your filter is gunked up pretty bad then it might be the source of your nitrates. Could be your gravel or substrate that needs a light vacuum. We know it isn't from your tap water. You aren't dosing fertilizer for any plants right?

Ferts is what I was thinking, if not then filter build up, was there any melting dying plants particles getting sucked in?

Only rinse in old tap water or treated water so chlorine/chloramines don't damage kill the BB population. Gentle swishing out in a bucket of media or rinsing it off with treated water like pouring water from a pitcher over/through it.

Check tap water just in case there was a fluctuation from the source.

Once had ammonia issue after doing water changes over and over again. Only to find out it was coming from the tap water. Even though the tap water had been fine when I had previously tested a couple weeks before.

My crypts starting melting fairly recently so it could very well be plant particles. I’ll try cleaning the filter.

I’ve not fertilised for a couple of days, so don’t think it would be that.

Just tested the water from the tap, and nitrates are coming back as somewhere between 10 and 20ppm, which is roughly what it’s supposed to be according to my water supplier.

I did another 20% water change, cleaned the filter sponges using the tank water I removed, and cleaned the sand as well. However, my nitrates are still coming back as 80ppm. Not sure what’s happening. I haven’t fertilised since the 7th of October.

I finally got the levels down to an amount I’m happy with, and I’ve finally got some fish! I’ve added a group of 10 Lambchop Rasbora who are doing great so far, now I’m wondering on how I should gradually stock it.

The final stocking plan is 20 Lambchop Rasbora, around 10 Kuhli Loaches, around 10 Glass Catfish and either a single male Pearl Gourami or a trio. How long should I leave between each addition and which order should I put the fish in? I don’t want to overload the filter. Also, does this stocking plan seem okay?

I was also planning on putting in some cherry shrimp and zebra nerite snails. At what point should I put these in?

Thank you so much for all your help

Personally I would quarantine your fish for at least 3 weeks before adding them to your tank. If you do this, add say....10 rasbora's to QT. Once you put them in the main tank then add 10 kuhlis to your QT.....so on and so forth.

I'd definitely add your centerpiece fish last.

Yes, and add the Nerites and shrimp after all cycling ups and downs are normalized, looking at about 2-4 months as the Nerites eat algae and there won't be much for them, and the shrimp will eat foods you have fed, but they also feed on microscopic foods which are called aufwuchs which the shrimp apparently graze on and need time to build up as well.

Mainly regarding Dwarf shrimp in the aquarium a couple months at least are needed of having the stable parameters. Or likely they will die off.

If you are adding any inverts it is ideal for them to only be added to a tank with longevity of stable parameters, like no unexplained fish deaths, water quality issues.

Make sure to add some moss clumps, moss rocks (good for grazing), and other things which can add extra protection for dwarf shrimp like Cholla wood or ceramic structures which allow shrimp to have sanctuary but not allow fish to hunt them down. In multiple areas of the tank.
The below two sellers, I do not know about sales or service, just picked them out as they have the item type I was referring to.

https://www.amazon.com/SLOME-Aquari..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=XK2BKSQV62XDPFAVA42A

Bamboo type or ceramic
Shrimp pyramid breeding cave /hide
https://www.amazon.com/SLOME-Aquari..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=XK2BKSQV62XDPFAVA42A

Congrats on the new fish.

Back
Top Bottom