Aquarium Pharm KH&GH Test chart help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MantisX

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone out there use the aquarium Pharm kh and gh test? I missplaced my sheet that tells me how many drops mean what. Does anyone have that info handy that they could send me? I went to check it for my planted aquaria and noticed the sheet was nowhere to be found. :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated

MantisX

I have the Aquarium Pharmaceutical KH test kit. The first drop will turn the water blue. If, at the first drop, the water turns yellow, then your KH is 1 degree. If it turns blue at first drop, then continues adding the drops until it turns yellow. Remember to count the number of drops it takes to make the water yellow. The number of drops is the number of degree of KH. If you want the measurement in ppm then here it is.

# of drops dKH ppm KH
1 1 17.9
2 2 35.8
3 3 53.7
so on so on 71.6

You are a lifesaver!! I really appreciate the quick response and very helpful info. I dont know what I would do without this place

Thanks very much

MantisX

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not.

I also use the Aquarium Pharm. kH test kit. I haven't been testing for this water parameter for very long, so I didn't have a history of readings for comparison. Anyway, I have, on at least one occasion, had it turn yellow on the first drop. I thought this was odd, because a few days earlier, it took three drops to turn yellow. I immediately retested it and the second test needed three drops, just as I was expecting.

What caused this, I don't know. Someone suggested the test tube could have been contaminated, but I don't think so.

I just thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone.

It probably was. Rinse well between tests.
For a more accurate result, double the amount of water that they ask for in the vial. I believe it's 5mls. So use 10mls. of water and then count every drop as 1/2 point. So 3 drops would equal 1.5°H........6 drops=3°H.....7 drops=3.5°H etc. It will help in pinpointing your kH. Also works for gH.

Len

Here is the GH test info:

Hold the dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of the drops. After the first drop is added, the solution will turn orange. If the water sample contains only 1 degree of GH, the solution will turn from clear to its green endpoint after the first drop is added.

If the first drop turns the water orange, continue adding drops until the water turns green. Cap the tube and invert several times after each drop. Count the drops needed to turn the water green, and that number is the degrees of GH.

The results in ppm:
1 degree GH = 17.9 ppm GH
2 degrees GH = 35.8 ppm
3 degrees GH = 53.7 ppm
4 degrees GH = 71.6 ppm
5 degrees GH = 89.5 ppm
6 degrees GH = 107.4 ppm
7 degrees GH = 125.3 ppm
8 degrees GH = 143.2 ppm

Awesome! You guys n gals dont know what this means to me. I was having a panic attack here because I couldnt test my water parameters. I should be in business now, unless I mess around and lose my copies :D

Thanks very much

Back
Top Bottom