Aquarium Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to know if the following fish are okay with a small amount of aquarium salt?? (Not brackish water, but rather a small dose to help reduce stress and disease.)

African Butterfly Fish?
German blue rams?
Siamese algae eaters?
Angelfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aquarium salt is fine for all species when used as directed. In my tanks, I have many scaleless species and it never bothered any of them.

Aquarium salt aids in fish electrolytes...think sport drinks and humans for a simple comparison.

As long as you are talking aquarium salt and not marine salt which is totally different type of salt.

How small a dose are we looking at out of interest? Just curious on any long term effects if any have been noticed or not.

I don't currently have any, as I have never used it before. I was planning to do half the dose the package recommends. I have a 55 gallon tank.

The other day, I had a newer Molly come down with cotton wool mouth, and got it out of the tank fairly quick. I put in some Melafix and have been keeping an eye on things. Today I noticed one of the siamese algae eaters has two small white spots. I again put in Melafix, but have been told aquarium salt would also help.

If your fish are healthy then you have no need to add salt all the time

If you do get a problem later on adding salt will have no effect

The first thing everyone says when anyone gets a problem is add salt and turn up the temp

In over 30 years of fish keeping I have never added salt but I always keep my temp high 24/7 at 84 and always use a uv I haven't had any problems of any kind
And wouldn't run a tank without a uv

If your fish are healthy then you have no need to add salt all the time

If you do get a problem later on adding salt will have no effect

The first thing everyone says when anyone gets a problem is add salt and turn up the temp

In over 30 years of fish keeping I have never added salt but I always keep my temp high 24/7 at 84 and always use a uv I haven't had any problems of any kind
And wouldn't run a tank without a uv

Does turning up temp help with fungus as I've seen references saying decrease and some saying increase.

Edit - hit reply by accident.

Does temp increase help with anything? Ich and other parasites I know a temp increase will speed up cycle. Bacterial I thought it best to lower and unsure on fungus if temp should be increased or decreased.

Last edited:
black mollies do great with salt , some people cycle there salt water tanks with them
they are really a brackish water fish
fungus on fish usually something is off in your tank , over feeding , no water changes , dirty filter
I have had great luck with Binox it works on fungus and bacterial infections but it is not cheap

do you know that almost everything you have in that tank will eat mollies

None of my fish bother the mollies, and I keep my tank at 80 degrees.

I'm not concerned with the mollies and their reaction to salt. I know they would like the salt. I want to know if my other fish are okay to have a little salt.

Does anyone know if any of these fish are okay with salt?????
African butterfly fish
Angel fish
German blue rams
Siamese algae eaters

Back
Top Bottom