Aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good dose for general fish comfort. I've recently moved fish and put them in there own tanks and they are a little nervous. What is a good dose of salt to make them more comfortable? No illness, just trying to help with comfort.

What kind of fish to keep?

I am not aware of any empirical evidence that suggests that fish are more "comfortable" with salt in their water.

I do know that some fish are not tolerant of salt.

So unless you are keeping some specific fish that require salt or treating some illness my recommendation would be none.

If they have a place they can hide they will/should be ok. Maybe turn the lights down or off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Using Aquarium Salt

What is a good dose for general fish comfort. I've recently moved fish and put them in there own tanks and they are a little nervous. What is a good dose of salt to make them more comfortable? No illness, just trying to help with comfort.

Hello knut...

You don't need much to help the fish. I regularly dose a teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of new water. The amount won't bother plants or any fish that may tend to be salt sensitive.

If you're adding salt to a tank that's already full, then dissolve a couple of teaspoons in a half gallon of treated tap water and pour it evenly over the length of the tank. You can use standard aquarium salt, Kosher or canning salt. Don't use iodized, though. There are additives in it that you don't want to put into the tank water.

B

Hello knut...

You don't need much to help the fish. I regularly dose a teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of new water. The amount won't bother plants or any fish that may tend to be salt sensitive.

If you're adding salt to a tank that's already full, then dissolve a couple of teaspoons in a half gallon of treated tap water and pour it evenly over the length of the tank. You can use standard aquarium salt, Kosher or canning salt. Don't use iodized, though. There are additives in it that you don't want to put into the tank water.

B

Hey bradbury, that's what I was looking for, I know that it will help I was just wondering if I needed to dose the same as medical treatment or less and you answered my question, thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom