Aquarium Salt: A Do or Don't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealnickster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is your opinion on aquarium salt? If any, what are the benefits of using aquarium salt? Do you use it in your fish tank? Do you use aquarium salt not just for treating your fish, but with every water change? What is your experience with using aquarium salt? Did it make a good or bad difference in your fish tank?

What application? Full time or for ailments? I think it has a place in the ailment department.. full time?? Not so much..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I find it helps on livebearers and some cichlids more than other fish. I use it more when first setting up a tank and introducing the fish over continually adding with every water change.
As a treatment, it seems to cure any case of the shimmies by livebearers and Gouramis over any other med. (y)

A lot of people debate this topic. I've read the most about bettas and guppies and depends on who you ask whether they use it. From my reading most don't use it constantly but when they get a new fish in or there is a problem. I rarely use it but I have way more fish as of recently so I have some on hand just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read quite a bit on it.

When the little box of of AQ salt says "increases slime coat" it's not lying but it doesn't tell just how it does that.

My take is salt is a stressor. By stressing the fish, it produces more slime coat building up its resistance to fight infection and disease. So in short-term it's very effective in medicinal treatments.

Long term use is not good though. Like humans, long term stress can have the opposite effect making us more susceptible to sickness. Believe I read it could cause kidney problems as well in fish? Don't take my word on that sentence though.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom