aquarium salt and tank issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
how do you add the salt? i've had it in a cup dissolving for 30 minutes but it isnt dissolving. also do i need to get more salt in in water changes? and do i do that according to the gallons i take out? :thanks:

Last edited:
Are you trying to create a brackish environment ? I say just do fresh water for brackish fish. There's no reason to ever put salt in a fresh water tank. I know the LFS do but they really shouldn't.

plecoking said:
Are you trying to create a brackish environment ? I say just do fresh water for brackish fish. There's no reason to ever put salt in a fresh water tank. I know the LFS do but they really shouldn't.

Forcing a BW to live in FW will weaken its immune system and cause disease and early death.Columnaris is a disease the can get.

You don't know what you're treating, so I'd skip the salt. When in doubt, change water. If you identify a specific issue that you need to treat, salt can be useful in some cases.

Brackish tanks require marine salt mix anyway. That isn't the issue here, but for long term health, brackish fish DO need to be kept in brackish tanks... sorry, but this advice is way off base.

I could market a product and claim whatever I want on the packaging... but that doesn't make it true. ;)

I add Salt to several of my aquariums - but I never just set it in the tank. Add between 1 tablespoon per 5 gal or 1 per 10 gal depending on the tank. That way you can control how much is actually dissolved. Salt must be replaced with water changes but never to replace evaporated water. I'd be concerned about saying salt is noticeably helping your fish breath - I'd check water chemistry and make sure you don't have a spike of ammonia/nitrate etc.

nope i have perfect conditions ammo 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 i guess my plants didnt put out enough o2 or something. bc some fish were sticking at the top

What's your filter and air setup? Sounds like not enough dissolved oxygen. Even with plants you have to aerate the water (preferably at night). Plants use oxygen as well - so you may be starving both plants and fish of oxygen.

now i have an airator i didnt have one before and i have a 30-60 tetra filter wher i have cut a gatorade bottle and used it to distort the water bc of sand kicking up

Back
Top Bottom