Aquarium salt yes or no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I'm having a debate with a friend about aquarium salt. He says he never uses it and would harm the fish. I always have used it and continue using it in all my freshwater tanks. I have great luck and very few losses I feel it is partly because of the salts

What do you guys do?

I don't use it unless there's an illness. Good water quality and maintenance keeps fish just as healthy.

I don't use it unless there's an illness. Good water quality and maintenance keeps fish just as healthy.

Good water quality and maintenance go without saying. I guess I'm just old school I was taught 25-30yrs ago by an old timer then and he always used......

I stop using salt by the late 80's. Softwater fish like tetra and cory's do not like salt and it can irritate them. Plants also don't do well and will suffer depending on how much salt is in the water. Some plants can be slowly acclimated to accept some salt (brackish tanks) but overall it's just not good for them. That is one of the reasons people who have water softner units have to use RO water... in these units calcium and magnesium ions (both of which plants use as macro nutrients) are exchanged for sodium ions. I had a friend who kept losing fish and who's plants were doing horribly. After much talking I asked if he had a water softner on his house. Yes he did and once he quit using the water from it his fish and plants took off.

I guess I was wrong about the salt. I will have to slowly get rid of the salt, I don't want to shock anything in the tank. My plants and fish seemed fine but maybe without salt they will do better. I want them to be the best they can be

The worst part is I hate being wrong, I'll tell me friend he's right

Everyone makes mistakes :) at least you admit to being wrong instead of arguing it. I respect you for that :)

Everyone makes mistakes :) at least you admit to being wrong instead of arguing it. I respect you for that :)

Thanks I do try and admit my wrong doings, it's just funny I've been keeping aquariums on and off mainly on for over 30 years and have always used salt and done well. Guess I can now do better without

Thanks I do try and admit my wrong doings, it's just funny I've been keeping aquariums on and off mainly on for over 30 years and have always used salt and done well. Guess I can now do better without

You know each tank is different and if it's always worked well at whatever dosage you use then there is no reason you have to stop. Especially if you have plants that you have acclimated to it.

Back
Top Bottom