aquarium sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotrodtodd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was reading and can't remember what thread it was on. BUT someone was encouraging another to buy sandblasting sand from tractor supply, some may be a great idea but some is not real sand but other chemical compounds. Just be sure you read the bag really well. The actual sand sandblasting media, would it need to be washed as it really is a great idea and economical!
They were also talking about using rock from the rock and landscape store. This is a good idea but BE SURE that you don't use a sediment rock as it will rapidly dissolve. Use metamorphic stone that was heat and pressure formed as in marble. Do not use alabaster, steatite, calcite, soapstone, limestone or sandstone. I wouldn't use them any way.
Cut offs from sculptors or a monumentarium might be a good idea!

I was reading and can't remember what thread it was on. BUT someone was encouraging another to buy sandblasting sand from tractor supply, some may be a great idea but some is not real sand but other chemical compounds. Just be sure you read the bag really well. The actual sand sandblasting media, would it need to be washed as it really is a great idea and economical!
They were also talking about using rock from the rock and landscape store. This is a good idea but BE SURE that you don't use a sediment rock as it will rapidly dissolve. Use metamorphic stone that was heat and pressure formed as in marble. Do not use alabaster, steatite, calcite, soapstone, limestone or sandstone. I wouldn't use them any way.
Cut offs from sculptors or a monumentarium might be a good idea!

I have never heard of sandblasting sand being use in an aquarium. After using Caribean Sand from the pets stores, i would urge you not to use that one either. For 5 bucks you can get a 50 pound bag of play sand from either Home Depot or Lowes. I have used it before and never had any problems with it. It also comes in different colors. You can buy it at Toys R Us as well.

I use Black Diamond sand blasting sand and CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand. My tanks have been up and running for quite a while (2-3 years at least ).

I prefer black sand for my planted tanks.

My friend used PFS for her 75g that we set up last week.

I have never heard of sandblasting sand being use in an aquarium. After using Caribean Sand from the pets stores, i would urge you not to use that one either. For 5 bucks you can get a 50 pound bag of play sand from either Home Depot or Lowes. I have used it before and never had any problems with it. It also comes in different colors. You can buy it at Toys R Us as well.

What did you not like about the pet store sand? If I did not get EcoComplete for my shrimp tank, then the Petco Black sand would have been a second choice.

I've been trying to decide on a black sand for a 29 in the near future, but was just going to start a thread to ask similar questions!
The Black Beauty is a product I've read a lot of folks use. In checking it out, I found out it is coal slag, and is really attractive.
I went to a place and asked for black sand type stuff, and didn't read the bag till I got home. This stuff is copper slag. It has all zeros on the caution diamond. It has no taste, no smell. Also no silica, so I'm thinking that's a good thing, although I don't know why.
I also have some white sand from a friend of mine. I just put a 3 gal tank together with the white, to test it out. Water tested well after days, etc. so I bought a .28 feeder fish from Walmart, and set him up. He did great. I'd put the media from my other filter in this filter, so the cycle has already taken place.
I'm now going to replace the white sand in there and try the black and see how that goes.
Can someone tell me why the hob filter has instructions that say they are not for tanks with sand? Is that going to become a problem for this filter? How can I avoid that?

Just a side not on this. I run a material supply company and I sell black diamond sand blasting sand along with several decorative gravel. I have the MDS sheets on most of all my stuff. The black diamond blasting sand should be just fine for your tanks, as long as you wash it properly just as you would any other product you would put in your tank.

Witch brings a to mind a good question.

What are some unique ways everyone are using to wash their products going in their tanks?

HOB filters may suck up sand which gets into the impeller cavity, causing wear and possibly even jamming the impeller so it stops turning. putting a sponge prefilter over the intake can prevent this as can not having the intake go to the bottom of the tank.
The reason no silica is a good thing is that it is a carcinogenic. However, the problem isn't with the grains, butt with the extremely fine dust which can be inhaled. So, having silica sand, and most PFS is #20 silica, in a tank isn't an issue or even a hazard, bit inhaling the dust while handling can be. For this reason, other blasting media are preferred for certain jobs.

Just a side not on this. I run a material supply company and I sell black diamond sand blasting sand along with several decorative gravel. I have the MDS sheets on most of all my stuff. The black diamond blasting sand should be just fine for your tanks, as long as you wash it properly just as you would any other product you would put in your tank.

What are some unique ways everyone are using to wash their products going in their tanks?

So, I don't suppose I could get so lucky that you might be nearby? (I'm in AZ) Or, does your company ship?
Or maybe you can at least tell me what I am looking for.
Are you familiar with the material that some places use in their ashtrays? (I'm a smoker, so I see lots of them) Its black, and it is shiny, catching the light and reflecting it making it appear sparkly, almost glittery? It seems to me to be not quite as perfectly uniform as you would use for blasting. THAT is what I'd really like to use. If I can find that, I'd give this bag of copper slag to my hubby for sandblasting. (Well, maybe! I have additional tanks I want!)
I put the black sand in my 3 gallon tank and I'm going to go and get a couple of fish for it. I'm thinking that since the Goldy did ok, others will too.
Oh, when I first put the goldfish in with the white sand, he was checking it out of course. Made me wonder if fish will try to eat the sand, and could that be a problem?
Those with a sand substrate: any thoughts?

What are some unique ways everyone are using to wash their products going in their tanks?[/QUOTE]

Oh! On this, it's been fun! In one case, I used a colander from the kitchen to do a drain on some wet sandy gravel that I was moving. When I was done, I set it to the right of our kitchen sink to wash later. (Clean dishes NEVER go to the right of the sink in our house, for the last 18+ years)
An hour or so later, while I was busy putting a tank together, my husband was making some potato salad for a get together at a friends house that afternoon. (He makes the BEST potato salad). He got it all done and gave me a taste, it was awesome as usual. I went on with my business. Then he asks me "did you use the colander for sand or something?" I said I had. He proceeded to tell me, somewhat angrily, that I may never use any utensils... Blah blah blah. ?
It seems he had spotted the colander there as he was cutting up his ingredients and it "looked clean" so he was tossing them in there! He had taken a bite and got sand or gravel or something!
Oops! While I felt bad, I did get a little chuckle when I was at the grocery store buying up their supply of potato salad at the deli. I don't know why, but I did. ?
Moral of this story? Don't use kitchen utensils no matter how perfect they are for the job! ?

when i rinse my sand i put it in a 5g bucket, set the bucket against the step outside at a 45 degree angle and put the garden hose to the bottom of the bucket. it takes about 10 minutes for the play sand i get to come clear

So, I don't suppose I could get so lucky that you might be nearby? (I'm in AZ) Or, does your company ship?
Are you familiar with the material that some places use in their ashtrays? (I'm a smoker, so I see lots of them) Its black, and it is shiny, catching the light and reflecting it making it appear sparkly, almost glittery? It seems to me to be not quite as perfectly uniform as you would use for blasting. THAT is what I'd really like to use. If I can find that, I'd give this bag of copper slag to my hubby for sandblasting. (Well, maybe! I have additional tanks I want!)
I put the black sand in my 3 gallon tank and I'm going to go and get a couple of fish for it. I'm thinking that since the Goldy did ok, others will too.
Oh, when I first put the goldfish in with the white sand, he was checking it out of course. Made me wonder if fish will try to eat the sand, and could that be a problem?

I wish I was in Az. I am n MO. sorry. I can only speak on the brand that I sell here in MO. It is called Black Diamond sandblasting sand. I will post a picture a little later of the bag. If it were me using a new type sand, I would try it out in a small 10 gal first with just a couple goldfish.

I wish I was in Az. I am n MO. sorry. I can only speak on the brand that I sell here in MO. It is called Black Diamond sandblasting sand. I will post a picture a little later of the bag. If it were me using a new type sand, I would try it out in a small 10 gal first with just a couple goldfish.

pictures

img_2581503_0_71eba3838649e9281a501375a5c578d9.jpg

This is the Black Diamond

img_2581503_1_14a85928199db91aca0d22159f03ea2f.jpg

This is another rock i like to use called Mini Pearl
img_2581503_2_292f2be8b479972f6434df647316bedb.jpg

The two mixed is pretty nice as well
img_2581503_3_7470f1a2702d9d4ff7b9bd0aec9b36c0.jpg

img_2581503_4_bbc4b531f98271bffc8f446041201aa4.jpg

I used black sand for my 180. Looks sweet with my blue led bubble curtain Just the pet store sand.. But iv also heard alot of people say play sand? Is that really good? I'm setting up a convict breeding tank and i kinda wanted sand and was thinking the cheaper route.

Does play sand work ok?

I used black sand for my 180. Looks sweet with my blue led bubble curtain Just the pet store sand.. But iv also heard alot of people say play sand? Is that really good? I'm setting up a convict breeding tank and i kinda wanted sand and was thinking the cheaper route.

Does play sand work ok?

You would have to read the bag. But normally if it is "play sand" it means that it has been washed and sterilized. Safe for your kiddo's. But I would still wash it like normal.

Does play sand work ok?

For your 180 gallon, how many pounds of sand did you use?

I just bought a 175 gallon, trying to figure it out lol.

Well i can tell u I didn't get enough. I got two 20lb bags. It covered it, alitlle thicker in some spots then others but not a whole lot. I feel like another 20lbs would've been perfect, if not just a little much.

So i did the play sand and i now I have a cloudy, can't see threw tank. I read that it'll settle which I'm ok with. I I'm still have an issue finding a breeding pair of convicts.

Any ideas? Ebay has em but idk bout shipping/prices for shipping.the

Back
Top Bottom