Aquarium sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know where I can find a good sand like play sand that's cheap. And is very white even when it's wet it stays white?

I used white play sand from menards. $4 for a 50lb bag or something like that. It's not true white, but is a very very light tan. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389803624.687543.jpgthis is my 100g when I first set it up and you could still see the sand...

Just remember when you ask that there is a difference between play sand and white play sand.

Pool filter sand or a very fine grade of gravel are better options than play sand. Play sand compacts too tightly and anaerobic pockets tend to form over time. Also harder to siphon. If you prefer a black substrate look for Black Beauty or Black Diamond (brand depends on region) blasting grit. It's not sand, but looks/acts like sand except no diatom bloom for a few weeks-month after you put it into the tank. Also very low-priced, if you don't want all-black you can mix it with sand to lighten the color a bit.

Google 'Mystic White Pool Filter Sand' or 'Mystic White II Pool Filter Sand'. It runs about $10/50lbs at my local pool supply stores. Its not 'pure' white but appears white under decent lighting. Its a super clean silica sand that does not compact, is heavy enough not to be sucked into filters and does not require extensive rinsing (but do it anyway :) ).

Google 'Mystic White Pool Filter Sand' or 'Mystic White II Pool Filter Sand'. It runs about $10/50lbs at my local pool supply stores. Its not 'pure' white but appears white under decent lighting. Its a super clean silica sand that does not compact, is heavy enough not to be sucked into filters and does not require extensive rinsing (but do it anyway :) ).

This is exactly what I was looking for in my new AC tank. I thought originally of doing crushed coral, but couldn't find any that was really white. I plan to have a lot of limestone chuncks for caves and such. Limestone is everywhere here in FL, and about .015 cents a lb. at landscaping stores. Thanks!:D

I have play sand in my tank and if I could do it over again, I would definitely have gone with pool filter sand. It's a pain to siphon.

Back
Top Bottom