aquarium size for senegal bichirs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bra_van_drakh

Aquarium Advice Activist
my senegal is 1.5 years old with length of 8", but I put him with 5 other senegals, having lengths of 6.5", 5.5", 5.5", 3.5", and 3". my aquarium is 25 gallons, and I'm feeding them live small fish, thinking that they'll need some exercise and by chasing their prey they'll stay fit at all times. beside those 5, I still got 3 gouramis, having lengths of 6.5", 5.5", and 4.5" all together in 1 aquarium. they dont eat any fish so I guess that my bichirs are save from starvation. but i've heard that a bichir will need a space of 45 gallons aquarium, and since I got 5, it'll be about 225 gallons, n where in earth will I get that kind of aquarium .T _ T.
so, is it really necessary to get a larger aquarium, n how big should it be ?

wow.

Maybe just me, but your fish house sounds...small...for what you've got in there.

I'm a little suprised no one else has said anything about this. Troll?

For all of those bichirs, I wouldn't doubt 200+ gallons. Plus those gouramis? You've got a lot of fish in there, man, not much space at all for your fish to move.

you could keep 5 bichirs in a 150gallon tank i would say. Bichirs need a large footprint in a tank. Water volume does not really matter because of this. A 45gallon breeder tank would be fine for a couple of them, but a 45gallon tall would not be suitable for any of them. I keep a bichir in a 50gallon breeder tank. It has a very large footprint. When they say 45gallon minumum for ONE that does not been you need an additional 45gallons fer each other one you get. A 150gallon tank would be fine for the 5 senegals and the gouramis.

This is just my opinion though. Some others may differ.

Wow, that's alot of fish for 25 gal...and bichirs get quite big. For all those fish, I'd say get a 180 gal bare minimum. You'd probably want to get a tank with a larger footprint than that though.

minimum 30 gallon tank for any bichir. For a senegal, you can keep about 5-6 in a 75 gallon tank though, and about 3 in a 55. a 150 or larger tank, you are lookin at bein able to keep upwards of 10 or more of the small bichirs, the lower jaws i believe, which dont normally grow any larger than 14 inches. I currently have 4 in my 75, am gonna get rid of 2 after I can sex them, and then get 2 delhizis as well. Plus a common pleco, a bristlenose, a pictus, a striped raphael, and a few cichlids.

I'm really2 new on thiss.. .. but the gallons we're talking is for volume, rite ????
1 gallon = 9 litres ???
if that's so, then 150gals is just like massive 0-0'
about 1,350,000 cm3
equals 1.35mtrs x 1mtr x 1mtr ???

truly thankful for all of these recipes ^^
gonna try to persuade my mother though, hiekz4 .T _ T.

uhhhh, yah, 150 gallons is a big tank, and yes, it's gonna cost yah!

so, yah, 150 gallons will be 567 litres, and the dimesions will depend in what brand or style you purchase. As pointed out, bichirs require a larger base, and the side height doesn't really matter to them, so look for something with a large base.

apart from that, please look at unloading your stock. if you don't have the space to keep all of these fish, don't. a lot of LFS will take fish back for credit, and you could use that to get something more appropriate for your tank size.

owkay. ...my mistake, hwa444
if 1 gall=3.78ltrs, them my tank should be 3 times larger, since now my current tank is only 50 galls, not 20 galls [didn't use the correct measurement last time T _ T']... ..

adding to it, if i got 3 greedy gouramis that feed on everything, including plants, how am I suppose to decorate my tank with one, since they'll eat all of the plants ???

Plastic plants are your friend. Especially with bichirs even, as they tend to uproot plants.

a 50 (55 gallons are the most common tank size though...aside from a 10 gallon at least) should be able to house about 3 bichirs fine, a 75 gallon is 4ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft, only 6 inches wider than a 55 gallon tank, and can house all the bichirs you have atm, and doesnt require any more filtration than a 55, just a small powerhead to keep the water moving.

Back
Top Bottom