Aquarium Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK21

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon top fin starter aquarium. I've had it for a 2 or 3 years now and I'm starting to see air bubbles in the sealant holding the tank together. Should i be concerned or expect that tank to fall a part soon? Thanks for the help.

I'm a newbie but that does not sound good. I'd be getting a new tank started just in case..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here are a couple of pictures. When I was doing my water change I could get the sealant to move :facepalm:
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 52
Wow, that's odd. I don't think I've ever seen bubbles form in the sealant like that before.

It's definitely a weak spot in the sealant but what you want to do about it is up to you.

1. Replace the sealant - Time consuming process but it will definitely remedy the problem. It's not terribly difficult to do.

2. Replace the tank - This is what I would probably do, but I have 4 extra 10g tanks sitting around my house unused atm. 10g tanks are cheap and easy to find so it might be easier.

3. Ignore it - You would likely be safe for quite a long time. Any leak that does happen will very likely be tiny at first and "should" be slow enough to remedy. It's still somewhat risky to do though.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick advice....somewhat worried as there are a lot of bubbles. I think 2 is the path considering it is a cheap replacement

Is there any water on the outside of the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom