Aquarium stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peachyykeen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve only gotten into the hobby within the past six months or so, and I’m not going to lie I don’t really understand how to tell when a tank is overstocked. I was considering adding a small school of pygmy corydoras to my tank, but I’m unsure if that’ll be pushing it? I currently have:
four green emerald corydoras
seven guppies
two angelfish (I got both of them when they were around the size of a quarter so they’re pretty calm and leave smaller fish alone)
a female betta
two ghost shrimps
and a handful of mystery snails
in a 45g tank. I know that not all of my fish are full grown so that kinda makes it hard for me to gauge whether or not I could add a few pygmy corydoras. Or if anyone has other suggestions by all means let me know?

Rule of thumb is 1 inch fish/1 gallon of water. Based on that you are not overstocked and could easily put in a school of pygmy corys.

The 1"/g rule doesnt take account of a lot of factors though and should just be a guide. What filter are you using? Is the tank planted? How much tank maintenance are you prepared to do? What specific fish are you keeping? (12 x narrow bodied 1" fish will have much less bioload than 1 x 12" goldfish for instance).

If you can keep on top of your water parameters and the fish are happy and healthy then you can overstock quite safely. I would say if your water parameters are good and you arent having to do massive regular water changes to keep them good, go ahead and get your corys.

Back
Top Bottom