Aquarium water in bathtub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jentralala

Aquarium Advice Newbie
At the risk of severe backlash I have decided to finally ask this question, but first let me give some details on my tank and why I am concerned. My tank has very soft, acidic water caused from 2 big chunks of driftwood and a low GH/KH in my tap water. This results in a ph of about 6. However, my tap has a ph of 7.6, so I have to be very cautius when doing water changes so that my ph remains stable, as all my fish are acidic water fish.

I started the tank with Eco Complete substrate and topped it with another substrate, thinking they wouldn't mix. Of course, after numerous gravel vacs, they have begun to mix and the appearance is driving me insane. So I'm going to remove the other gravel (leaving the Eco Complete on the bottom) and just pour on some more eco complete.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, this is my main problem. I only have two 5 gallon buckets. I need to save as much tank water as possible to refill with to keep as much bacteria as possible and also prevent a ph spike.

Can I safely keep my tank water in my bathtub? I know that there are chemicals from soaps/shampoos that can be harmful but is there a way to super clean it? Bleach? Boiling water?

/facepalm

I forgot to mention my tank is a 35 gallon. Keeping two full 5 gals would be less than 30%.

jentralala said:
At the risk of severe backlash I have decided to finally ask this question, but first let me give some details on my tank and why I am concerned. My tank has very soft, acidic water caused from 2 big chunks of driftwood and a low GH/KH in my tap water. This results in a ph of about 6. However, my tap has a ph of 7.6, so I have to be very cautius when doing water changes so that my ph remains stable, as all my fish are acidic water fish.

I started the tank with Eco Complete substrate and topped it with another substrate, thinking they wouldn't mix. Of course, after numerous gravel vacs, they have begun to mix and the appearance is driving me insane. So I'm going to remove the other gravel (leaving the Eco Complete on the bottom) and just pour on some more eco complete.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, this is my main problem. I only have two 5 gallon buckets. I need to save as much tank water as possible to refill with to keep as much bacteria as possible and also prevent a ph spike.

Can I safely keep my tank water in my bathtub? I know that there are chemicals from soaps/shampoos that can be harmful but is there a way to super clean it? Bleach? Boiling water?

Are you refilling the tank with the old tank water?

You should be refilling with clean treated water, waterchanges are to remove toxins from the water in the tank and the freshwater going in helps balance out everything and keep the water clean what are your parameters and how long has the tank been up and running

When I do a regular water change I refill with clean treated water. I do regular bi weekly changes. The problem I face with replacing a larger quantity than 25% treated tap is that my tap water ph is 7.6 whereas my tank is 6. I fear the ph going too high and stressing the fish when I put them back in. Tank has been set up for 3 months, Ammonia 0, and I always get nit/nat confused. The one is 0 and the other is between 5-10

If your using the api master test kit nitrites or blue and should be sky blue meaning 0 nitrates are good between 5-10ppm you could do small daily water changes like 10% for a couple days then up it to 15% for a couple days until you get up to 25% check your levels each time take it slow main thing is to keep it stable once youve got the ph up again through natural buffers in the water you could use some crushed coral to help stabilize the ph

Yes you can use your bath tub to store the water. As long as its been well cleaned to eliminate any chemicals. Very hot water should help. If it where me I would just purchase more large buckets. They ere fairly cheap and you will know they will be clean.

I don;t think 35 gallon is enough water for "fish in a bathtub". I think 5g buckets will keep the water for you and be enough to hold the fish while cleaning your tank.

That's quite an effort you're going through to remove some unwanted gravel. Must be a site.

Back
Top Bottom