Aquascape Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKLB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to aquascape a 55 gallon cube which is a Juwel Lido 200 with the intention of either having an Asian biotope or perhaps a South American biotope (any recommendations on either biotope or any species suggestions?).

The tank is 71cm/28 inches wide, 65cm/25.6 inches tall and 51cm/20 inches deep, so the tank is quite tall. I'm having trouble trying to make sure I decorate the tank properly so I don't just have lots of blank space towards the top, so I was looking at placing wood vertically.

I saw this aquascape online which is basically what I'm trying to do, and I would love it to look like this although I realise that may be difficult; https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/aa/ce/8d/aace8d9f4773a1f53d7551fee69d34e2.jpg

I've tried looking for wood like this but I'm struggling to find anything that looks this nice and can stand like that. Could anyone suggest any specific types of wood, if there is any particular method to make it stand up or any recommended UK retailers?

I could also use some tips in aquascaping in general if anyone has any, I just really want it to look nice but I'm struggling.

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you in advance :)

How exciting of a project and with a really beautiful inspiration tank!

There are ways to create a "natural" wood focal point. Like put 2-3 pieces together. you can use stainless screws. Cover the screws with cyanoacrylate gel superglue and add a bit of your driftwood bark or moss or substrate sand over the top to blend in the colors, to DW color You can always add a chunk of Java Fern or Anubias or live moss at the location.

I believe if you are good with wood working you can drill holes and add a hardwood dowel and cut to blend in as if it is a branch.

As for getting to stand where you want you can use a slate square with a hole drilled in it and use a SS screw for mounting into the base. This means you can make any piece stand straight or slant. :)

I just was at a convention where master and award winning aquascaper from Brazil, Luca Galarraga, take several peices of wook and wiring them together and gluing them and then creating a beautiful scape.

Here you can see part of it - starts at minute 9:17

It looks like you are on the right track. The biotope idea is cool. It seems like what many people lack in their aquascapes is height. I've made the mistake of not having the right amount of height before. It just comes down to researching plant size and picking out driftwood and envisioning what you want it to look like. Buying many pieces at once is the best option. That way you can pick and choose. Anyway, I've always found that Crypts and Microsorum help in the height factor. They generally look more natural too. Stem plants will aid in height too, but they look better in higher lighting.

This tank isn't grown in yet and doesn't have all of its plant yet, nor is it a tall tank, but with driftwood, it is quite easy to add height. Small Anubias and Bucephalandra up front, Microsorum in the back.

K4YJHRB.jpg

Thank you so much for your ideas guys, they really helped. The video was very interesting, and I love your aquascape fishenthusiast!

I'll try and post pictures when I've finished aquascaping and after stocking. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom