Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AKDBEHAJCNSHSKQNCI THE APP CRASHED HAD TO REWRITE EVERYTHING!!

So basically.... I will now bombard you with a thousand questions.

I have found a big interest in aquascaping my tank to make it an even more breathtaking centerpiece for my room.

Shane I's aquarium has EXACTLY what I am looking for as far as rocks. I wanted to do the whole pile-rocks-up-to-make-good-hiding-places-for-fish-thing, but I couldn't reach him with a full inbox I included a picture of it however.

I have so many questions though!
I heard rocks raise your pH. Mine is already at 8.0. Is there a way to add rocks without doing that?
How do you know what rocks are safe?
How do you "mold" them together so they don't fall on fish when you do water changes and stuff?
Where do you find the special rocks to use?

Also, I am wanting to change my ugly looking gravel to sand. Sand would look SO MUCH BETTER imo so I'm wondering about that to.

Whenever I do water changes, I vacuum the gravel. What do I do for sandy substrate?
How do I clean sand?
How do I remove the gravel/add sand safely?
Will doing this process affect water parameters enough to harm fish?
Is there specific sands I should be looking for?

I will also be adding plants for the first time if I do this aquascaping project. I don't know hardly anything about plants but all I know is that I for sure want Amazon Swords (for my angels) and probably a couple moss balls. I will obviously be doing my plant reading up later though once I find out enough about the sand/gravel and the rock formation I want to do.

Any and all help is VERY MUCH appreciated! This is something I really want to do! And just in case this helps:

Stock list:
5x angels
10x red eye tetras
2x black mollies
1x female betta
1x red tailed shark
1x Cory cat (schoolers I know - only temporary)
1x juvenile tiger Oscar
2x ghost glass catfish
2x feeder guppy fry (in a breeder box)
2x Khuli loaches
4x mystery snails
15x (approximate) ghost shrimp

My tank is a 55 gallon long

Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oops forgot to add the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-193793472.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	183568  

Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is another one I like.

Anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-576448222.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	183586  
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Volcanic rocks are good. Pour a little vinegar on it. If it fizzles its limericks and you don't want that. Use aquarium sealant to glue the back if the rocks. Swords are good plants. So are crypts
Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishGirl View Post
AKDBEHAJCNSHSKQNCI THE APP CRASHED HAD TO REWRITE EVERYTHING!!

So basically.... I will now bombard you with a thousand questions.

I have found a big interest in aquascaping my tank to make it an even more breathtaking centerpiece for my room.

Shane I's aquarium has EXACTLY what I am looking for as far as rocks. I wanted to do the whole pile-rocks-up-to-make-good-hiding-places-for-fish-thing, but I couldn't reach him with a full inbox I included a picture of it however.

I have so many questions though!
I heard rocks raise your pH. Mine is already at 8.0. Is there a way to add rocks without doing that?
How do you know what rocks are safe?
How do you "mold" them together so they don't fall on fish when you do water changes and stuff?
Where do you find the special rocks to use?

Also, I am wanting to change my ugly looking gravel to sand. Sand would look SO MUCH BETTER imo so I'm wondering about that to.

Whenever I do water changes, I vacuum the gravel. What do I do for sandy substrate?
How do I clean sand?
How do I remove the gravel/add sand safely?
Will doing this process affect water parameters enough to harm fish?
Is there specific sands I should be looking for?

I will also be adding plants for the first time if I do this aquascaping project. I don't know hardly anything about plants but all I know is that I for sure want Amazon Swords (for my angels) and probably a couple moss balls. I will obviously be doing my plant reading up later though once I find out enough about the sand/gravel and the rock formation I want to do.

Any and all help is VERY MUCH appreciated! This is something I really want to do! And just in case this helps:

Stock list:
5x angels
10x red eye tetras
2x black mollies
1x female betta
1x red tailed shark
1x Cory cat (schoolers I know - only temporary)
1x juvenile tiger Oscar
2x ghost glass catfish
2x feeder guppy fry (in a breeder box)
2x Khuli loaches
4x mystery snails
15x (approximate) ghost shrimp

My tank is a 55 gallon long
Lots of questions - lots of answers

I want to start off by saying you are very overstocked - I just want to get that out of the way first. An oscar will grow up to need a 55 gallon all to itself. Also, the shark will get extremely territorial, it is not a good choice for your current setup. The last thing is that a 55 is really not big enough to hold 5 full grown angels AND the rest of that stock. I apologize in advance if this is a temporary situation that was going to be fixed soon, however if it wasn't, I just wanted to bring that to your attention.

Now, the rest:

Not all rock raises pH. Lava rock and seiryu stone are known to, however other types won't. A good way to test a rock for your aquarium is to put a few drops of vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes, you do not want to put it in your tank. You can order some rock online, but shipping rock isnt cheap. I recommend just looking around town first, you can generally find some cool pieces. I use silicone sealant to keep the rocks together unless the formation is very stable.

Now sand - to change it out, I would drain most of the tank into a big 30 gallon tub for your fish to be in while you change. Change the substrate, then fill back up, let everything settle, and then add the fish back in. Be sure to keep filter media wet with conditioned water during the process, as you do not want your biofilter to dry up.

Sand does require rinsing before putting it in the tank. I am on mobile so I cant give the exact link, however there is an article on here about natural decor. It talks about different types of sand and how to rinse it. The article can be found on the home page.

What lighting do you currently have? Moss balls can tolerate very low-light conditions however swords prefer medium-range lighting. You may need to upgrade your fixture.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you for all the help!

Unfortunately I bought everything off of Craigslist in a set, so I have NO IDEA the type of lights i have. I don't even know my filter :/

And yeah I know I am overstocked the Oscar is juvenile and angels's bodies are (length wise) a little smaller than a golf ball. But not to worry I will be moving out before everything get's too big for its tank and I will be then getting multiple tanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah, how long does it take to settle and how do I do water changes with sand?
When I do water changes with gravel, I vacuum it. But my vacuum would suck up sand. :/
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Will be following the thread and just wanted to bring it to your attention that the red tail shark and female beta will fight tot he death as I once made the mistake of keeping the in the same tank so I had to rehome the shark. Other than that it sounds like you know what you're doing but a good light fixture that is fairly cheap is the oddysea 48" 108 watt plant fixture. Has been great for my tank and just wated to recommend it as you will most likely need to upgrade your lights for growing plants. It was only $75 new on amazon! Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was planning on doing it eventually anyway so I guess now's a good time to do it! Lol
Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Oh yeah, how long does it take to settle and how do I do water changes with sand?
When I do water changes with gravel, I vacuum it. But my vacuum would suck up sand. :/
Have the vaccuum 1" or so above the substrate, enough to sick up the debris but not the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Will be following the thread and just wanted to bring it to your attention that the red tail shark and female beta will fight tot he death as I once made the mistake of keeping the in the same tank so I had to rehome the shark. Other than that it sounds like you know what you're doing but a good light fixture that is fairly cheap is the oddysea 48" 108 watt plant fixture. Has been great for my tank and just wated to recommend it as you will most likely need to upgrade your lights for growing plants. It was only $75 new on amazon! Good luck!
I believe you can get the same fixture for $60 on aquatraders
Old 07-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does waste get deep into the sand at all?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Does waste get deep into the sand at all?
It shouldn't, unless somehow sand gets kicked up on top of the waste.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

It shouldn't, unless somehow sand gets kicked up on top of the waste.
Okay. Thank you for all of your help I appreciate it! And so do my fishies!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com