aquatop cf500uv canister review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
purchased this filter a few weeks ago from amazon for $98 shipped and I have to say I am impressed. I was running 2 aquaclear 110 hob on my 125 gal. and it kept up biologicly but the water was never clear, after running the aquatop 2 days it was crystal clear. The filter came with filter foam, carbon, ceramic rings, and bio-balls to place in the 4 media baskets. IMO there wasn't enough media included so I added more. It seems to have a very good flow (rated at 525 gph). Not sure about the 9 volt uv light..it seems to have to much flow to be really effective but it is designed to spiral the water around the bulb..maybe this gives it enough exposure??? If anyone is looking for a good canister on a budget I would say this is the way to go. Not sure how it compares to fluval or other names but I have to say it is dead silent, and my water is crystal clear. Very happy

You just answered my question before I posted it! Thank you!

I am planning on getting the same filter for my (coming soon...) 36 gallon bow front tank. Any tips? How much hosing/tubing does it come with?
Oh also, could you please make a video? I would so much appreciate it... I really want to see it in action.

The filter comes with about 5-6' of hose per side (input/output). The only cons IMO about it were the directions are kinda sketchy, but it really wasn't hard to figure out, and it really didn't come with enough bio-media so I purchased some extra ceramic rings and bio-balls. There is 4 large media baskets so you can customize it how you like. It comes with a spraybar attachment for the output that I am currently useing but I may take it off to create more current. Primeing was a little tricky, you have to make sure the hoses are a straight shot from the filter to the tank(cut them shorter if you have to) makes it a lot easier to prime.
Im not sure on the longevity of the filter because I've only had it for a few weeks, but all the reveiws I found people love it. For under a $100 shipped you can't go wrong. To me it was well worth the money. It's doing a great job!

Shark79 said:
The filter comes with about 5-6' of hose per side (input/output). The only cons IMO about it were the directions are kinda sketchy, but it really wasn't hard to figure out, and it really didn't come with enough bio-media so I purchased some extra ceramic rings and bio-balls. There is 4 large media baskets so you can customize it how you like. It comes with a spraybar attachment for the output that I am currently useing but I may take it off to create more current. Primeing was a little tricky, you have to make sure the hoses are a straight shot from the filter to the tank(cut them shorter if you have to) makes it a lot easier to prime.
Im not sure on the longevity of the filter because I've only had it for a few weeks, but all the reveiws I found people love it. For under a $100 shipped you can't go wrong. To me it was well worth the money. It's doing a great job!

Shark79 said:
I'll try to post a video soon!

Great, thanks. :) if I had to make the hose turn 25 degrees, do you think it would be ok?

That should be fine. The problem with leaving the hose to long is that you may have a loop or a dip in the hose. This makes it difficult for the pump to prime. If it's a strait shot it primes easily

CF500-UV Canister Filter

I work for AquaTop - I am glad to see such positive feedback in regards to our filter. I have read this thread and would like to chime in a little. Priming the CF is pretty simple if you follow a few rules of thumb; keep the vinyl tubing as short as possible, install the canister itself empty, and make sure the aquarium is full of water when priming the unit.

Was wondering where the OP ordered his filter from? Also what size is recommended for a 55 gal.

Aquarium Help

I am unsure where OP bought his filter from. If you would like a recommendation for a 55 gallon aquarium I would need info to help you. What is you ultimate goal with the 55 gal aquarium?
Salt or Fresh?
What type of fish?
And honestly...... what kind of maintenance are you willing to perform.

skiweeangel said:
Was wondering where the OP ordered his filter from? Also what size is recommended for a 55 gal.

Im not the op but I know where to buy them. :)
You can order them from
amazon.com,
www.buy.com
or
www.truaqua.com
I think the cf500 would be best for a fifty five gallon because it has the most flow, and it is a lot better imo because it has 4 media baskets instead of 3 (the cf 300 and 400 come with three.)

I ordered mine from amazon.com. The name of the company was truaqua. It was the cheapest I found only $98 shipped to your door!

Sweet! I have a gift card for amazon from my birthday. Happy birthday fishies!

I just bought two 400s with the uvs for my two 55s. I only heard good things about them. I have a pf 90 aquatop with biult in surface Skimmer. I am happy so far with aquatop. Can't beet the price.

sounds good to me. too bad the gift card had to go to something i needed even more...

+1 This filter is great. I purchased one (CF500UV) a few months ago for my 115 gallon and it been doing a great job and is extremely quite. Very, very good filter.

I just picked up this filter for our turtles. 2 sliders in a 125 gal tank. I'm having a hard time priming it. I see shorten up the hoses to get them as straight as possible. Does the tank have to be full? Because we keep it about half way.

Back
Top Bottom