Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaryThompson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone used the Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer? It has a gravel vac on one end and connects to a faucet at the other end. By running water through the faucet, you create suction to vacuum the gravel, then flip a switch to refill the tank with water.

The reviews for it seem okay, but I don't understand how it's a one-person job. It seems there would need to be one person at the sink while the other person holds the vac end in the tank. Otherwise the vac end either won't stay under the water (to maintain suction) or will actually flip up out of the tank and get running water everywhere.

If you've tried one of these (or a similar product), how did you manage that? Did the product work as advertised? Was it easy? No muss, no fuss?

Thanks,
Mary.

They have valves on both ends so you can stop and start it however you like. When you are done removing water you shut the valve on the gravel vac end, shut the valve on the tap end and then open the valve on the vac end. Really easy one person job.

Many people on this site have these. Honestly with mine I siliconed a small piece of slate to weigh down the vac part so that it stays in the tank for sure.

It will do a bit of a balancing act and before I added the slate it DID stay in the tank on it's own.

When I started I had problems with getting the syphon started but it is super easy once you figure out what works for you. The only "bad" thing I have to say about it is that it drains slowly.

Oh, cool. Thanks! I'll probably get one then.

bigbanker, the idea of fixing a piece of slate to the vac end is brilliant. I'll probably do something like that, too.

I have a clippy i use on the tank to hold mine, never thought about weighting it down, good idea!

I made my own and it's similiar to the Aqueon and Python Products.

Agree with the others, absolutely one person product, easy to use, no spills or accidents, quick changes - Love mine.....

Alright, this is interesting to me, I have never heard of this device until now and curious if this product is available in Canada, I fell in love with the idea of root tabs to hear the guy at the local fish store say we use to get those but we can't anymore in Canada.

My toddlers tank said:
Alright, this is interesting to me, I have never heard of this device until now and curious if this product is available in Canada, I fell in love with the idea of root tabs to hear the guy at the local fish store say we use to get those but we can't anymore in Canada.

I'm sure you can find one somewhere online that will ship to you or you can make it yourself.
You could make your own root tabs too.

Here's the device in detail:

If you use Prime of other water additives add them directly to your tank after you drain the water and before you add your fresh water.

Very easy make it yourself: DIY Aqueon Water Changer

HOSE: Get a Potable RV Water Hose (safe for drinking, safe for fishies) Wallymart has em' cheap

FILL AND DRAIN Faucet attachment: Ebay (also used with waterbeds)

SHUT OFF VALVE: Home Depot/Lowes/ACE

I have about $25 in my 50 foot changer

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys were so right

You guy couldn't have been more right about this product. I used it for the first time yesterday and it was so easy I couldn't believe it. It's wonderful when something works as advertised!

Thanks to you all! :thanks:
M.

Back
Top Bottom