Aqueon Water Siphon Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I got the Aqueon Siphon and since my tank was due for a clean I decided to clean the tank but noticed a problem. After I cleaned the tank and replaced it with water, I noticed a oily residue at the surface of the water. I have yet to clean the tank again to remove the residue since I figure that Aqueon wouldn't put something on their product that can harm fish but none the less I want to be safe and ask this question. Has anyone that has this siphon ran into this issue before and is this residue bad for the fish. Thank you.

I had this happen when I accidentally dropped more conditioner than needed...quite a bit more. I was able to soak it up with placing a paper towel on the water surface and then peeling it away.

I've got a Aqueon WC'r and have never had that issue. Another thing you can do is if you have a HOB filter just lower your water level so the overflow cascades into the tank like a mini water fall. This will break the film up. You just need more surface movement.

I know for a fact that it is not the conditioner since I saw the residue before I added anything to the water, like conditioner and ph riser.

I just had a post on this "residue" and from what I'm gathering, just let surface aggitation clear it up. I highly doubt its from your changer; although it could be possible (maybe from the plastic lining or something). A paper towel across the top does help, but may not get it all. Also, if your hand/arms were in the tank water, it could be some of the oils from your skin too. Overall, I wouldn't be really concerned about it, not going to kill your fish or nothing. Just keep good water circulation and hopefully our tanks can clear up together.

Most likely its just a protein buildup. next time you do a water change hold the siphon tube upside down just under the water surface and that will remove the film.

I always keep the siphon above water line when refilling the tank. It's splashes and help remove some of the chlorine. I have no idea how to clean a 50 foot hose. Algae and calcium build up inside. It's 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom