Aquiring a used tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I may be getting a used 55gal tank/stand/hood/gravel/filter/ect ect.

My question is, should I scrub/bleech the gravel and the tank? [ I know, rinse rinse rinse, soak with dechlorinator, rinse some more :wink: ]

Or should i just leave it as is and hope the bacteria in the tank [ its still wet ] will survive?

Personally I'd start from scratch and clean and disinfect. Even if the fish that were in there appeared healthy, they could have had subclinical cases of disease. Better to be safe. Plus, you have plenty of media in other tanks to start a new bacterial colony :)

Yes, I agree. Just a glance through this site at all of the nasty, tricky problems that can occur and drive someone to abandon the hobby is enough to want to completely nuke any used equipment you get, but the $$ you save by getting used is well worth it. I am determined not to get any more tanks until I move, but I am always jealous when people post about the new tanks they are getting, used or otherwise!

LOL so am I Tankgirl. Someone once gave me an empty 10g tank with one of those funky iron stands that fits 2 10g tanks, but no one has EVER offered me a 55g tank with all the bits!! *sniffle* I'm hanging with the wrong people ;)

I would start over again. ALso i would bleach the filter and etc that were in the tank as well.

Happy weekend :D

Back
Top Bottom