Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Archer/puffer brackish 46g tank?

I am planning on purchasing a 46g bowfront tank within the next few weeks. Was planning on upgrading from my 20 gallon, but want more interesting fish than my freshwater community. Then I considered a marine tank, but I simply can't afford it; not to mention all the saltwater fish I love require huge tanks (I will be short on space for the next 2-3 years). So now I am thinking about brackish, and had a few questions.

- I was wondering, would I need any extra equipment compared to a freshwater tank to set up a brackish tank than the usual filter, heater, powerheads etc.?

- Would archer fish be compatible with a Figure 8 puffer? (they are housed together at the local (very reputable) LFS, so I'm assuming they would be okay).

- Would young archerfish be okay for a year or two in a 46g tank? I know they will outgrow it eventually, but I hear they grow fairly slowly.

- How hard are archers to feed, really? Would freeze dried insects be a suitable diet?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Hiya Corey

1. Marine salt (not aquarium salt!) and a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the specific gravity.

2. To the best of my knowledge, the two should be fine together if raised together, seeing as one grows to 3 inches and the archers can reach almost 10 inches.

3. I would think two would be ok for no more than a year. Be prepared to return one though. They sometimes will become agressive to their own kind.

4. Archers require live foods. If you get them to accept frozen, then that's great, but it should still be fed live.

A link for you:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/qa/f/faq0014.htm

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
46 gallon, archer, brackish, puffer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com