Archers started spitting today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foshizzle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
We just setup a brackish tank and we have a moray eel and 2 archer fish in it. They are very cool.

We weren't sure if they would ever spit to get their prey from about the tank but this morning we put some crickets on the driftwood that sticks out of the water and one started to spit at them!

We have had them for about a week so that is a good sign they are happy, IMO.

Very cool fish, would recommend to anyone looking for cool brackish water fish.

We just setup a brackish tank and we have a moray eel and 2 archer fish in it. They are very cool.

We weren't sure if they would ever spit to get their prey from about the tank but this morning we put some crickets on the driftwood that sticks out of the water and one started to spit at them!

We have had them for about a week so that is a good sign they are happy, IMO.

Very cool fish, would recommend to anyone looking for cool brackish water fish.

That is awesome! Can you provide info about their setup? One day I would like to do brackish. :)

Once we get the tank all finished up ill post some pics and video.

We are in the process of getting a top built so there can be vegetation sticking out if the water for the prey to be on, like crickets. But won't be ready for about a week.

I'll do my best to try and get them on video spitting.

The eel is pretty **** cool too. So far, a cool tank.

Once we get the tank all finished up ill post some pics and video.

We are in the process of getting a top built so there can be vegetation sticking out if the water for the prey to be on, like crickets. But won't be ready for about a week.

I'll do my best to try and get them on video spitting.

The eel is pretty **** cool too. So far, a cool tank.

Sweet! They live well in varying salinity as well since they are brackish correct? I know salt has to be very exact for marine but brackish is different right?

Sweet! They live well in varying salinity as well since they are brackish correct? I know salt has to be very exact for marine but brackish is different right?

for marine salinity has to be from 1.021 to 1.025
and for brackish salinity should be around 1.015
some fish will tolerate either low salinity or high salinity depending on their species

Ya, we have it a little bit lower since both fish came from freshwater. The specific gravity is at about 1.012 to 1.014. We try to keep it within this range.

So far the eel has flourished and eats like a monster and the archers will eat minnows or crickets off the top of the water or will jump to get them off the log.

This morning was the first time we saw them spitting at the prey.

We got our two archers for $20 each. They are just banded, nothing too special. Then there are some that are Burmese at the LFS for $135 each for their rarity. Too much for my liking!

Ya, we have it a little bit lower since both fish came from freshwater. The specific gravity is at about 1.012 to 1.014. We try to keep it within this range.

So far the eel has flourished and eats like a monster and the archers will eat minnows or crickets off the top of the water or will jump to get them off the log.

This morning was the first time we saw them spitting at the prey.

We got our two archers for $20 each. They are just banded, nothing too special. Then there are some that are Burmese at the LFS for $135 each for their rarity. Too much for my liking!

Cool! I would love to see pics!

Back
Top Bottom