Are Bettas Known Jumpers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had one jump this weekend in my office 2.5g :( There is only one 2" gap between the light and filter.

Currently not using a glass top as I would have to get a custom cut one with the setup I have.

Funny thing is I stopped in on Saturday and looked all over for him. I thought maybe some office mates were playing a joke at first since He was no where to be found. He turned up today between a news paper that was 2 feet away on the desk. poor little guy.

Do you think the gap is something to worry about for a future addition? I know most betta tanks are covered, but not bowls. I use to keep them many years ago and do not recall a jumper.

Attachments

• hpim0026_713.jpg
    hpim0026_713.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 37
Yes - bettas are known jumpers. Mine will jump out of the water to catch the food that is on my fingertips. A tight lid is important. It doesn't need to be fancy - vinyl window screening set inside four of those sliding report binder spines will do it.
Marineland makes a 2.5 G tank with a glass top. They sell them at the Petsmart near me, you might want to consider that also.

WaterPond said:
What do you plan for future inhabitants?

Just a single male betta for now. LFS has some nice red/blue in right now, unless I can find a solid black one.

Tank is not heated, so I need to look into the possibility of a shrimp and a couple os snails down the road to help if algea becomes an issue.

Running coralife PC with 2-5k bulbs now for the plants.

well, yes get a cover then. Even a small strip of glass taken out of a picture frame(that what i use)

And i have a suggestion for the tank. It needs some sort of background and hardscape. Maybe some driftwood and a few small rocks to add a little texture. A black background cut out of bristol board would be a cheap way to go too if you want.

WaterPond said:
And i have a suggestion for the tank. It needs some sort of background and hardscape. Maybe some driftwood and a few small rocks to add a little texture. A black background cut out of bristol board would be a cheap way to go too if you want.

Well glass top it is, I just measured it. Drift woos and backdrop are on my shopping list, just have not found a small enough piece. :)

or you can buy some craft paint and just paint the back of the tank. I've done that on my 2 Eclipse 3 tanks and my 10 Gallon tank. If you want to get "fancy" you can sponge paint it on in layers to give some depth to the background.

way too many threads on this subject already

Ok, did some shopping last night and came in early this AM.

Added:
Drift wood
Rock
Back ground
Glass top for open area next to light(need to get re-cut as does not fit quite right)

Anyway here are the results:

Attachments

• hpim0035_188.jpg
    hpim0035_188.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 183
  • hpim0038_649.jpg
    hpim0038_649.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 172
afilter said:
Currently not using a glass top as I would have to get a custom cut one with the setup I have.

Could you use acrylic that what I have on my betta tank and it also that same 2.5 gallon 12x6.5x8.5
Or you can get the actual light from perfecto I got mine pricematched from petsmart for 6.99 Here are some pics. I have a piece of acrylic at work and am cutting out one corner for the same filter you have I believe it is made from red sea I believe.

clubsuperduty said:
Could you use acrylic that what I have on my betta tank and it also that same 2.5 gallon 12x6.5x8.5
Or you can get the actual light from perfecto I got mine pricematched from petsmart for 6.99 Here are some pics. I have a piece of acrylic at work and am cutting out one corner for the same filter you have I believe it is made from red sea I believe.

Update: Glass recut last night and fits perfect.

I did not want the top made for the 2.5 because I am running a filter and would have had to cut that (check pics). I am using a coralife PC light to better promote plant growth.

Thanks all,

Thanks,

The new betta is not very photo friendly, but adjusting well to his new home. Unfortunatley he hangs out in back alot where he can see his reflection. He is very active and swims around most of the tank, but never really stops for a photo op in the front of the tank. :)

Here is the best I could do:

Attachments

• hpim0050_191.jpg
    hpim0050_191.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
Still looks really nice I like the way you have your tank set up. And he is very good looking Betta.

My dad had a betta when he was in college (about 1963). One day it just disappeared. A few years ago he was going through old vinyl records and opened up a little latching case of 45's and there was a little betta skeleton wedged down in the back.

Back
Top Bottom