Are Clown Loaches compatible with Neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are clown loaches compatible with neons? Clown loaches have spikes at its mouth, will it injured neons?

All the clown loaches I have had have included neon tetras in the tank. Now one thing to know about clowns is they do not have scales so many of the medications we use are not recommended on them.

I would be careful not to over stock your tank. From some other posts I think your tank is rather full as it is.

I have heard that Clown Loaches look half dead when they are not really - so I think they would cause me too much stress and worry.

Clown loaches are great for a community tank. I have kept them with neons for over a year with no problems. They don't actually have spines on their mouths, rather they have barbels that are soft and used to "taste". However, as FishFreek said, don't overcrowd your tank. Clown loaches can grow to over 12 inches (30 cm) and are not suitable for small tanks. They also need to be kept in groups of three or more. Following the one inch per gallon rule, you would need to at least a 36 gallon tank just for 3 clown loaches alone. Also, they don't actually look dead, they just have rest periods where they settle on the bottom, but when they are not resting they are one of the most active fish I have.

Mine would lay on its side. It was very strange to look at if you where not expecting them to do so. They would also find the stranges places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom