are dwarf puffer freshwater or brackish fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingogirl66

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a heavily planted 10 gallon and I was thinking about getting 2-3 of these guys. I thought they were FW but someone at a fish store told me they were brackish. What is the general population thinking?

arrrg, i bought mine as brckish but acclimated very slowly(still not enough) into fresh.

I went into my LFS to tell them how well my dwarf puffer was doing(i know the employess pretty well) and i said i have it in with otos and they said to me that the otos will not like those brackish conditions very much. I replies "well, the DP is in fresh", then another lady who works there who i do not know at all came out and scolded me for having it it fresh, saying it is definately going to die. I just felt like saying "**** off lady! i know what i am doing"

Well, i went in there the other night and the girl said that all of the dwarf puffers died, only 2 out of 20 got sold and the rest died. I told her "should have had them in fresh", even after that she still thinks they are brackish!

Grrrrr, it makes me mad. Buy your DPs from somewhere else if possible.

You could always print out various different online articles about how dwarf puffers are fresh and hand them to her with a stick it note that says "enjoy"

ha

grr, i was at my LFS the other day and they had 3gal aquariums for only 7 bucks. I wanted to buy one and make another DP tank. I might just go back and buy one anyways, but my parents say no. lol

thank you for making this thread. im always reading about how they are brackish, and eventually need salt, i guess likea figure 8 puffer, and all these weird little puffers. and now i guess dps need fresh water...

At petsmart they're with "Leaf fish" which are considered brackish too..but all their tanks are freshwater, it's crazy -___- They live in freshwater...I've had mine for almost a year now and he's full grown at 1" long and doing just fine. He's a monsterous terror sometimes and LOVES to eat frozen bloodworms. It's his favorite and he really only likes to eat those. @__@

thank you for making this thread. im always reading about how they are brackish, and eventually need salt, i guess likea figure 8 puffer, and all these weird little puffers. and now i guess dps need fresh water...

where did you read this???

and BTW figure eights do not need full salt, they just need brackish their whole lives, it is green spotted puffers that need that. Because they are born in freshwater, then as juveniles they travel freshwater rivers to get to a place where SG increaces. Then they move out towards oceans and live on reefs(according to my LFS owner) Just so you know. :D

i think this is a prime example of why you should always research a fish before buying it and why not to believe everything the LFS says :D

Back
Top Bottom