Are Fire Eels And Tire Track Eels Compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a Fire eel right now that is about 8". I was originally wanting a Tire Track Eel but I could not find one anywhere so I ended up getting the Fire Eel and he is cool to. The LFS FINALLY got in some Tire Tracks that are about 6" and I was wondering if I buy one will he be Ok with the Fire. I'm searching but not finding my answer. The tank is a 100g with sand substrate, Lots of fake plants and two Oscars about 6" long. Everyone gets along fine and I am well aware of the potential size of these Eels and there feeding habits and need for hiding spots which I have all of.
TIA

That's a good question. I don't really know the answer but I would guess no. Fire eels can become territoreal and aggressive towards each other. This is especially true if it's been the only eel in the tank for a while. It's his place and any other eel would be treading on his turf.

Here's a pic of a fire eel being fed by hand. You can see how large this eel is, and it's in a 240 gallon tank. So the bottom line is even if they got along, you sure don't have enough room for two.

Attachments

• charleys_013_569.jpg
    charleys_013_569.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 567
Giving credit where credit is due. That eel belongs to Charley (aka Lowcoaster on aquabid).

That's one amazing tank!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom