are freezedried bloodworms and brine shrimp bad for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im pretty sure petsmart sells frozen(forgot to check last time i was there)

Frozen or live is preferable, but you can get away with freeze-dried IF you soak it first.

Soaking in tank water allows the freeze-dried food to absorb moisture and reconstitute into a form that won't swell as much inside the fish after it's eaten, which decreases the chance of bloating.

Ah ok so ill see if they eat flakes but if they don't I'll soak first anybody know if fish will eat live mealworms

-JD- said:
Frozen or live is preferable, but you can get away with freeze-dried IF you soak it first.

It doesn't matter how long u soak it for. Freeze dried will stay the same form. Wouldn't sink wouldn't do change anything even after soaking. Avoid freeze dried. Frozen are better and cheaper too. Last longer than freeze dried. Freeze dried don't last long after it's opened.

I make my own brine shrimp my fish love it, I also dont overfeed them with the stuff, comes in handy when feeding your baby fish. What I also do is take care of the brine shrimp until they are 2/3 weeks old and feed the big ones to my fish, makes good snacks for the fish...never have and probably never will use freeze dried stuff (in my opinion).

freezdried food can cause bloat

What Literature did you read that from :rolleyes: I feed my fish freeze dried and have not noticed any bloating. Think it may depend on how much of it you give them. It's best not to just let them swallow a piece whole, break it down into tiny bite sizes pieces. Fish will eat anything you give them. The freeze dried vs frozen debate will go on until the end of time.

Idk, I soak freezdried blood worms in tank water for a bit, and they seem to soak up the water pretty quick. I will say, however, id rather use frozen food, as brands like hikari pack their goodies with super lunch before freezing, so its that much more better..ya know?

What Literature did you read that from :rolleyes: I feed my fish freeze dried and have not noticed any bloating. Think it may depend on how much of it you give them. It's best not to just let them swallow a piece whole, break it down into tiny bite sizes pieces. Fish will eat anything you give them. The freeze dried vs frozen debate will go on until the end of time.
sure it didnt cause your frish to bloat,but your only one person. its not a certainty that they will get bloat from it,it just increases the chance.

Feeding freeze-dried food to your fish won't harm them, so long as it is not the only thing you feed them. It should only be used as a supplement as part of a complete feeding regimen designed to introduce variety into your fishes diets. Make sure that it is fresh and not allowed to age for too long once opened.

Frozen foods are a better choice though and live is better still if available.

Freeze dried foods can cause bloat and constipation. I avoid them at all costs. I would say it's especially crucial with bettas, dwarf gourami, and ADF's..but I'm sure there's more. I would just avoid them all together if you can ;)

What literature did you read that from?!

You've gotta be kidding me....

Back
Top Bottom