Are FW crabs new to hobby? confused re: conflicting info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mango

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After the goldfish fiasco I posted about in the Getting Started forum, someone suggested a freshwater crab for my 5g hex tank. I've been looking on the net for info and there seems to be a baffling amount of differing opinions and contradictory information regarding how to care for them.

Are crabs relatively new to the hobby or something or is there just that much controversy about how to care for them?

Some sites say that crabs such as fiddlers and red claws are completely aquatic while others demand that there must be a way for the crabs to get out of the water and onto land or an exposed piece of driftwood or some such thing.

Then there's the issue of brackish versus fresh water. Most of the sites say that fiddlers require brackish conditions so I'm inclined to believe this piece of info at least is true, especially since they are generally found in tidal pools and such. One site said don't buy fiddlers if they are being kept in FW at the LFS, or to wait until a new shipment arrives to minimize the amount of time they have spent in a FW environment. But I don't seem to be able to find any info regarding water conditions for red claw crabs other than they can live in your freshwater tank.

One thing everyone seems to agree upon is approximately 12 square inches of space is required for each crab and they need to be fed a variety of foods both animal- and plant-based. According to this, one could live happily in my 5g hex, provided I remove the 2 snails so they don't get eaten by the crab. I could devise a way for it to get in/out of water if that ends up being needed. I would also be happy to provide a brackish environment. I've never kept a brackish tank before, so it might be fun and exciting. I just need to know what, precisely, is required in order to make proper arrangements.

IMO, the best thing to put in a 5 gallon tank is either a single betta, or some cherry shrimp. A few plants would be good too. Trust me, the crab will be boring pretty soon, and would only eat any plants, even if they could survive brackish water. A half-dozen cherry shrimp would be more active, and will reproduce over time.

Alright. I was kind of looking for other creatures that might do well, but I seem to be coming up short and definitely don't want to end up killing anything else. I was just tossing possible ideas around in my head and got confused about conflicting info.

Thanks!

I had a fiddler crab in a 5 gallon hex tank when I was younger. It was cool! Therefore, I disagree. I thought the fiddler was active and full of spunk. They will eat plants, and all I did was give it a driftwood log to climb out on . Just make sure your lid is TIGHT with NO holes...it WILL find a way to get out. Trust me.

I kept mine in FW, but they are best kept in a brackish environment. Just make sure that it is kept in a brackish environment at the store. Otherwise, you will have to acclimate it.

I found a great fiddler crab info site, and will post it for you later when I get home. :)

Some FW crabs will capture and kill fish. I don't know what kind I had before, but I saw it ambush swimming fish with the lights on. It didn't use its claw, it jumped the fish and grabbed it with its legs, then dragged it behind a plant to finish it off. Suddenly the case of the missing fish was solved.

I only bring this up because I was told by multiple people at the LFS that they were harmless to fish.

Back
Top Bottom