Are larger tanks harder to clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are in some ways. I've got a 100 uk gal (120 us gal) tank and it is difficult if you're trying to reach the lower rear of the tank for anything as once its up on the stand the top of it is around 5 feet from the floor which means I'm up to my shoulder in water. Water changes take longer obviously. I do 50% pwc about once a week and it takes time to drain 50 gals and then refill but on the plus side the tank is far more stable. If anything goes wrong its generally easier to spot it and remedy it before things get nasty.

Thanks ill do a little bit more research on it and if not ill downsize to a 100 gallon.

They are much easier to keep clean in my experience, less algae build up, more stable perimeters ect but on the other hand they are a fair but harder to clean as in water changes, filter maintenance ect so it depends what you want really also think about the cost of water treatments if you don't have a QT tank it costs a bomb to treat illness.

Also it depends how messy your fish are and how your filtration is set up. You can get algae eaters to help and set up a fluidized bed in your sump for virtually maintenance free filter.

I think my 220g is way easier to take care of than the smaller tanks. If you plant them you don't need a gravel vac but they do make some really long gravel vacs. I just swish my hand over the substrate and lightly though the plants to stir up any settled detris right before I do a WC and it works fine. I do use an Aqueon Water Changer since I do a 50% WC weekly. So WC's are easy using that. Once the tank matured and balanced out I only use a glass magnet once every couple of weeks. I don't have any algae issues but I do have 1 longfin BNP, 18 Oto's, and 40ish nerite snails in there. I'd have an even bigger tank if possible. The only thing is I suggest getting on of the 3 step stools which come in very handy with big tall tanks.

Back
Top Bottom