are my fish too cold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephmc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 tiger barbs who are always just sitting by the heater, (I even tried moving it and they followed it) The water temp is 78, could they be cold? Should I increase the temp?

when you say your water temp is 78 I ask how are you determining this?

Do you have a thermometer in your tank? Is it a stick on type or a floating type? Where is it placed in comparison to your heater. What kind of water flow do you have over and around your heater? How is the heater placed in the tank? Vertical? Horizonal? Toward the bottom or top?

All those things can affect how accurate your temp readings are in the tank.

78F should be fine for your barbs in my book.

How is your tank decorated. It might be the heater is what they feel comfortable around.

not completly sure, your filter/water circulation could have somthing to do with it, or the room temperature outside the tank.

I have a stick on thermometer, it is not right by the heater, I have a hex tank and it is 2 panels over. The heater is basically right under the filter, and it is vertical near the top...

Does the heater appear to be on alot? Is your tank near a window or any other form of artifical heat source that might be giving your thermometer and artifical reading?

I have a stick on thermometer,

Personally, I don't have much faith in the stick-on variety. They definitley lose accuracy over time, at least in my experience.
Even though they may be kind of ugly, I prefer the glass floating type with a suction cup. I believe them to be more accurate.

the heater kicks on about 4 times an hour, staying on 5 min or less each time. No, it is not near any windows or anything.

I may switch to a floating thermometer or a suction cup one. I couldn't decide when I was at the store.

One thing you could do is just drop one in the tank for about 45min every day to check temp. I leave one in my sump on my 80 gal setup. Its out of the way and gives me very quick results.

one thing to never do is to use the themostat on the heater. I have seen these be off as much as 5 degrees. You might set them for 78 but you might actually get 80 or 75.

with the heater under the filter I am guessing its getting good water flow. although usually the spot driectly behind the filter outlet is usually an area of rather calm current.

I like to have my heaters positioned either horozonally or if thats not possible put them at an angle. This way the warm water that is rising from the heating element is not flowing directly over the themostat.

78F water should feel cool but not cold to your hand when you put it in.

Back
Top Bottom