Are Nitrates Good or Bad? What are Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrates

I just want to learn more about aquariums. Thanks.

Hello mun from MT...

Nitrates at a low level, say 20 to 25 parts per million (ppm) are fine. This form of nitrogen is the end result of the "nitrogen cycle", so a low level won't harm fish and are used by aquatic plants for food.

B

1 ppm of ammonia harm fish, 2 ppm ok nitrite harm fish and over 50ppm of nitrates harm fish.

Nitrate is the ending point of fish waste. I would recommand you read about the nitrogen cycle, it is VERY IMPORTANT thing in aquarium hobby.

In unplanted aquariums, 0 nitrates will be optimal I think. In planted tank, you want to keep a phosphates/nitrates ratio between 1:10, or 2:20.

You never want ammonia or nitrites over .25ppm and it's best to keep nitrates at 20ppm or lower. Do some research on the Nitrogen cycle. You'll learn by doing reseach.

You never want ammonia or nitrites over .25ppm and it's best to keep nitrates at 20ppm or lower. Do some research on the Nitrogen cycle. You'll learn by doing reseach.

For sure 0 is the best :)

When I say 1ppm ammonia harm, I mean your fish will have permanent damaged gills or may die. Ammonia can be +- harmfull depending on temperature and PH, as it can be on the form of ammonium.

Back
Top Bottom