Are older tanks made with thicker glass? (75 gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help out with... I bought a used 75 gallon tank. It's an all-glass that was made in 1996. It has a few scratches that I'm not thrilled about, but I can live with it.

I have an option of getting another 75g tank that's only 2 years old and in excellent condition according to the owner. My question is basically are the older tanks made better? Do they have thicker glass?

The reason I ask, is that I've moved 75g tanks around on the shelf at the LFS and they didn't seem too heavy. The used one I bought required two people to carry to load it and carry it into the house. Granted, I only moved the ones around in the LFS on the shelf, but they seemed a lot lighter...

If a 2 year old tank would have the same thickness glass, I will probably get the newer tank and swap it out. It's an hour drive to go view the tank and was hoping someone with more experience with tanks could help out before I made the drive.

Thanks!

Older tanks did have thicker glass. I think the difference is that the newer ones use temepred glass and it can therefore have the same strangth with thinner glass. I have moved new 180s and 220s with only one other person, and could barely move an old 150 a couple feet with four people.

They usually had ticker glass as they had different structure. Glass was probably different type as well.

There's a way to fix scratches in tanks I believe, there's probably a commercial and a at home natural way I might be thinking of acrylic I know you can fix that not sure of tempered glass

If the tank doesn't have a center braced frame it's older/thicker glass. I actually prefer those, even though they are heavier and harder to move around. I have an empty 55 that broke the top center brace twice (replaced the top trim once) then finally sprung a leak at the top of a corner. Never had that issue with older tanks.
Newer tanks the bottom is likely tempered glass, but not the sides too. Tempered glass can't be drilled for bulkheads.

Back
Top Bottom