Are quarantine tanks even necessary for freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently working out columnaris in my lambchop rasboras. Luckily, I hadn't set up the 3.7g for my mom's betta yet or I would have had nothing to put them in. Definitely investing in a qt tank. (trying not to be off topic) Does anyone happen to know if they have 5g on sale for $1 a gallon? I went to petsmart and I didn't see any. Idk if they would sell tanks that small for $1 a gallon.

Depends how you see your investments haha. I've gotten bad and just float and drop right in. Sometimes I don't even float my corals... I've just gotten lazy ultimately but I haven't experienced acclimation death in awhile.

With that being said at the store we drop everything for 3 hours 1-3drips a second.

Sometimes a drip is stressful though. What sounds better. Going from a stable store, 15min float, stable tank. OR stable store, sitting in a bucket for 3 hours with slow drips (this probably changes pH with gas exchange too), then your QT, then 2 weeks your stable tank.

I mean I'm not saying which is better or right... Depends on tank and how expensive the fish was haha. For freshwater conditions change dramatically between sources so doing some tests on the bag water and your tank could help.

I personally just use TDS as a general indicator for how long to drip my freshwater ringer fish.

I'd say QT is more important for freshwater fish. QT is more important fort saltwater coral.. But thats totally opinion.

Depends how you see your investments haha. I've gotten bad and just float and drop right in. Sometimes I don't even float my corals... I've just gotten lazy ultimately but I haven't experienced acclimation death in awhile.

With that being said at the store we drop everything for 3 hours 1-3drips a second.

Sometimes a drip is stressful though. What sounds better. Going from a stable store, 15min float, stable tank. OR stable store, sitting in a bucket for 3 hours with slow drips (this probably changes pH with gas exchange too), then your QT, then 2 weeks your stable tank.

I mean I'm not saying which is better or right... Depends on tank and how expensive the fish was haha. For freshwater conditions change dramatically between sources so doing some tests on the bag water and your tank could help.

I personally just use TDS as a general indicator for how long to drip my freshwater ringer fish.

I'd say QT is more important for freshwater fish. QT is more important fort saltwater coral.. But thats totally opinion.

I kinda agree. No offense to the guppy lovers but I'm not going to set up a whole QT for a .50¢ guppy.

Oddballs, wild caught, and high dollar fish, yes absolutely.

I need to ask.. Why QT corals? Hitchhikers?

Caleb

Yeah hitchhikers. A good dip is good but can't get them all. Once you have hundreds of dollars of coral you'd kick your butt if you let a nudi in or acropora eating worm.

Back
Top Bottom