Are tall tanks hard to deal with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently asked advice on which tank that is no longer than 36" long I should get, and it seemed most people favored the 40 or 50 breeder (both 36"x18" and either 16 or 18" tall). I could not find a 50 in the stores, but did find a 65 with that same footprint, but 24" tall. I know I have read to get the biggest tank you can fit, but I have also seen posts that say taller tanks are not the best. So although technically I guess I do have room for it, do you think this would be more trouble than its worth? Since fish use horiztonal space more than vertical space, would this be worth it, or should I just stick with the 40? I'm sure I'd have plenty of room in the 40, but just wondering if it would look funny being so short. I am just going to have a peacful community tank, with a couple groups of schooling fish, and maybe a couple gouramis or similar type of fish that size.

Advantage is more water volume, meaning easier to maintain parameters.
also good for taller fish like angels and such.
Dissadvantage, difficult to reach the bottom for cleaning and less floor space for keeping bottom feeders (mute point if that is all the footprint you have available in your house)

jm
My largest tank is a 46 gallon BF. I’m into planted tanks and don’t have issues with the 46.
I also have a 16 gallon (10 gallon footprint). It is 18" tall and sitting on a 36" tall oak book case. It is hard to clean and tend plants because I have trouble reaching the substrate. I don't know why but I also have cloudy water issues with that tank a lot. Maybe the AC HOB can’t filter that deep a tank.
The livestock is 7 neons and 5 black neons and you are correct, they mostly school in the bottom part of the tank until I feed them.
I really wish that tank was shorter and wider than it is.

Just my 2 cents.
Charles

Before buying a tank make sure you can reach the bottom without a problem. In order to reach the bottom of my hex I have to drain down the water about 6 inches so I won't have to take off my shirt just to do any planting or rearranging without getting soaked. I have to stand on a chair because my step stool isn't tall enough. I love my tank but it is a PITA to change anything in.

My 75 gallon is 24 tall that is why I don't keep any live plants in it just the goldfish, dojo and BN's.
I tried the plants but even with a stool it was just to much of a pain to work with.

Ok, looks like the consensus is that tall tanks are a pain unless you have tall fish. I know what you mean about the easier to maintain water parameters with more volume, but I am upgrading from a 10 and never had a problem with that yet so 40 should be a lot easier to maintain than that. I am pretty short and I guess I was not considering having to reach the bottom of the tank, but I guess that is something important to think of. I was just thinking you might have to lean down more to view a shorter tank, but I suppose since I am building a stand, that I could make it a few inches taller than normal. Maybe just tall enough so that I can reach inside the tank to the bottom.

i have a 180 gallon... 72"x24"x24"... while i will admit anything i have to do on the bottom is a bit of a pain... its worth it... i got one of those 3 step lil ladders from lowes... works fine.

I got a 56 gallon tall tank. Granted, I cannot keep as many mbuna as the next guy, but have not had an issue with getting into it. Granted, I am 6'4" so reach is not an issue.

It fits my space and I am happy with it thusfar.

A couple more disadvantages of a tall tank is less surface area, and the amount of light needed to get to the bottom.

Surface area is a biggie....the number of fish you can keep in a tank has a lot to do with the surface area. For instance, a 36 long (36x12x16) can really have the same fish load as a 45 tall (36x12x24). Add in the difficulties with cleaning, lighting, aquascaping etc, and the taller tank is generally not a better idea.

Ok, I thought that surface area had a lot to do with it. So I won't really be able to hold more fish with the 65 since it is the same surface area and I just would have more problems cleaning it and trying to fill the tall space with decor. So if the 40 is 16 inches high, what would be a good height to build the stand for the best viewing, so it doesn't look soo short? Am I making sense? For example now my 10 gallon is on a low dresser, and its fine to look at it sitting on the couch next to it, but if you are standing you have to crouch down a little. Should I just make it as tall as I can where I can still reach my arm inside it without getting on a stool?

Back
Top Bottom