Are these Detritus worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynxGen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, so relatively new to fish keeping.
Thought i was doing ok..
3mnths ago I broke my leg, and was unable to get downstairs etc, had the kids n old lady feeding/tending the fish.

I can finally get up n down the stairs, n hola... like 8mnths worth of food gone in like 2mnths... o_O
Filters so clogged barely moving water.
So a day of cleaning, water changing, etc.

I know i have too thick of substrate. I just didn't know when i set it up.

Anyways, to the point, feeding n staring at my penguin tetras n blue dream shrimp last night, I discoverd some squiggly little wormy things, that after initial panick, then google-fooing, i think are detritus worms, which are apparently nothing to be wortied about, and are actually a good thing.

I need to clear out n redo this tank, but I'm probably moving next mnth or 2, n trying to hold off till then, so im only removing the critters n cleaning etc everything once.

Anyways, made a short vid of these wormy things.
Please advise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Detritus worms are normally half inch to one inch. I dont know what they are but they look too long to be typical detritus worms. Although the term detritus worm is a collective name for a lot of different species of worm, so it could still be a detritus worm, just not of a type that is normally found in a tank.

How long are those worms?

Gosh they got to be a good a 3-6inches? That i can see?

Could it possibly be the ends of a hydra or something?

No ideas? Anyone?
Well guess im removing the fish n shrimp n starting from scratch... idk what else to do.. ��

Epitoky worm? There are many varieties, that looks like one of them. Otherwise, hydra might be the answer :eek:

Clearing out the tank now might be a good idea because A.) One less thing to worry about when you move, and B.) What if they reproduce fast and then you have a worm farm?

I have a little cut piece of new kitchen sponge, about 3/4" wide, that I dip in to manually remove slimy things. Whatever it is, from a worm to unwanted algae, slippery doesn't stick to my fingers and a paper towel disintegrates. But the sponge grabs it right up.

I don't think they're the Epitoky.. i couldn't see any signs of little hair/leglike structures along the sides etc.

Im about 95% certain they are Tubefex worms, basically detritus worms, and they're ok. I haven't even seen em other than that 1 time... im gona cross my fingers n hope for the best at this point.

I have moved several shrimp to a new home.. i mean who doesn't want a 5 gal bedside shrimp tank to stare at while fallin asleep? Lmao
I wanted to take my time n plant/seed that little tank etc, but will hold off for a future project.

I'll get the penguins tetras outta there shortly, and then i can begin redoing that tank. It just means ilm have 14 penguin n 10 silvertip tetras in a 25gal tank for a while... with shrimp n kuhli loaches.

I didn't want to put kuhlis in there as its sand n carpet plants. Ill never see or find them again!!! Lmao.

On the other hand.. i seen some great deals on fb buy n sell your junk site. 90gal tanks... n theres a 500 gal with stand etc for 1000$
The ole lady got a new van n just sold her old one for 2500... seems only fair... o_O (like that'll happen... ��)

Id like to one day just have one large show off tank n maybe the 25gal n 30gal just for like shrimp n snails/feeder food... lol

Why aren't your fish eating that?

My fish are penguin tetras, don't think they've ever explored the bottom ⅓ of the tank... lol (and shrimp)
I've only ever seen those wormy things once... not much chance to eat em! Lol

The Mrs had a salt display at her work some time back and it had worms similar to those and I had never seen them before and I did salt tanks in the mid 90s. I always associated worms like that with an infestation but I didn’t do coral or shrimp. Anyone know what they are?

Back
Top Bottom