Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile Are these eggs?

i don't know what else they could be... It's an african cichlid tank, but i do have a zamora wood cat and a striped raphael cat + a peacock eel. There is also a common pleco but i dont think it would lay eggs. I just noticed them today. Any help is appreciated

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...ps005cb3e1.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3776947f.jpg

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Those look like nerite or rabbit snail eggs to me. Do you have any snails in your tank? Usually pleco or cichlid eggs will be more round and all deposited close together, not spread out that much. Nerite snails can lay eggs in freshwater, but the eggs only hatch in brackish or salt water. The eggs don't harm anything, but you can remove them by scraping them off with a razor blade or other sharp object.

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not an expert, but they look like what I woke up to this morning! Mine are nerita snail eggs, but they will not hatch because they only really breed in brackish water. Do you have any snails? I am sure someone will be able to give you a better idea, but I just wanted to get you rolling!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have a snail but there is only one in the tank how could it breed? Anyway what should i do with the eggs?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCastic View Post
I do have a snail but there is only one in the tank how could it breed? Anyway what should i do with the eggs?
Morning Sir! Apparently they can lay eggs when ever they want. I have no idea about the breeding habits of snails other than the nirita do not breed in FW. They do like laying eggs!! I just scrapped a couple hundred off in my tank! Don't worry about the eggs. They will dissolve eventually. I just knock them off and don't worry about them. A few of the experts (very well versed in FW) told me about them and that is what they do! PM me anytime and I will get the answers for you or send you to a great person who will tell you what is going on!!

Tags
egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com