Are these fish okay to put in a 20G long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20G long with two filters, a Marineland Penguin 150G and an Aquaclear 50. At the moment, it has 5 Guppies, an Albino Cory, and a Julii Cory. I was wanting to add 3 more Albino Cories and 3 more Julii Cories to give them some friends. I also wanted to add 6 or 7 Bloodfin Tetras. Would this be okay for my tank? Would it have too many fish, and would they all get along? How often should I clean the tank, if this is fine, and how much? Thank you.

Well, you definitely have enough filtration. Keep the guppies and add the cories, but scratch the bloodfins. Although it would work with the kind of filtration you have, the bloodfins will grow to push your stocking limits. They'll also be much happier in a longer tank. Consider 5 cherry barbs, instead.

David

You definetely have a lot of filtration going on in there. Definitely add the cories. I'm pretty sure the tetras should work too. But if you decide against them, get barbs ( not tiger ), neon tetras, livebearers, etc.
water changes should be done at least once a week with at least 30% water change.

The main reason I was going for the Bloodfin Tetras is because of the multiple colors with distinct contrast(White and red) and because I heard they were the friendliest tetras. The main thing I want in my tank is I don't want any fish I get to nip at or chase my guppies. I thought about the neons and cardinals, but for some reason they don't attract me as much. Cherry Barbs are beautiful, but I've heard they nip. I want it to be as peaceful as possible, with no stress on my guppies, but I do want to add another school of fish, that I need to be at least 1 1/2 inches, because one of my filters has sort of big holes. I've had a problem with 1 inch fish and that filter.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tetrafish/glowlighttetra.php

glowlight_tetra_care.jpg

I like these guys with my guppies, they are friendly but they don't nip at my guppies.

image-2762235693.jpg

Attachments

• image-1150403601.jpg
    image-1150403601.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1747706717.jpg
    image-1747706717.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 81
The glow lights are gorgeous! But, with the thin body and size, I'm almost positive they'd be sucked into my filter. It'll be a while before I have to decide, because I'm going to add the Cory cats first. I don't want to add too many fish at once. Thank you for all of your help and advice! I'll look at all of those fish at the pet store and see if they'd work well in my tank.

Cherry, pentazona and checker barbs are all peaceful fish that should be ok with your filter. Also maybe lemon, rummynose and diamond tetras.

In terms of cleaning I'd aim to gravel vac around once a week.

The glow lights are gorgeous! But, with the thin body and size, I'm almost positive they'd be sucked into my filter. It'll be a while before I have to decide, because I'm going to add the Cory cats first. I don't want to add too many fish at once. Thank you for all of your help and advice! I'll look at all of those fish at the pet store and see if they'd work well in my tank.

If you want to get smaller fish but you're scared they will get sucked up then just put a sponge over the filter intake.

I'm looking for bigger fish now, since I have my guppies. :) They're my small fish. I'm looking for fish that are 1 1/2 to 3 inches. My filter works amazing, so I don't want to do anything to change that. Is there no way I can put the Bloodfins with them? I'm not finding any fish that I like quite as much.
Also, what are Bloodfins temperament? Because I'm finding some people saying they're nice to other fish, and some saying they're bullies.

Okay, not getting them for this tank though. Thank you, that's very good to know.

I just had another look at Cardinal Tetras, and think they'd be great. Would they be good with guppies?

Healthy fish do not get sucked into filters, unless you have something insane like a fluval fx5 on a 5 gallon.

Healthy fish do not get sucked into filters, unless you have something insane like a fluval fx5 on a 5 gallon.

Whoever gets a fluval fx5 on a 5 gallon is really really crazy. The fluval itself is probably bigger than the 5 gal. Lol

Back
Top Bottom