Are these fish suitable for a 75 gallon Community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boboepie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning a 75 gallon freshwater Community tank and these fish I have been thinking about. I need to know whether or not they can all live together in this size tank. Thanks!

- [ ] Cory’s
- [ ] Giant danio
- [ ] Blue spotted sunfish
- [ ] Six barred panchax
- [ ] Blue gularis
- [ ] Hatchetfish
- [ ] Jewelfish
- [ ] Bleeding heart tetra
- [ ] Paradise fish
- [ ] Rainbow fish
- [ ] Emperor tetra
- [ ] Guppies
- [ ] Mouthbrooder
- [ ] Angel fish
- [ ] Gouramis

Attachments

• IMG_1515105229.196515.jpg
    IMG_1515105229.196515.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 103
Wow, that would be a busy tank when stocked. You didn't say how many of each fish you were planning on stocking though.
To begin with, I would leave the jewel cichlids out altogether. They can be pretty aggressive, and won't do well in a community tank.
The danios, hatchets, tetras, and rainbows are all schooling fish, and won't thrive if they're alone in the tank. All should be in groups of at least 5 fish, with more being preferable.
I've never tried mixing killifish species in the same tank, but killis are usually fairly peaceful, so they may be ok. Hopefully, someone with more killi experience can weigh in on that.
The hatchets and the killis will both want to occupy the top areas of the tank, however, and that may cause some issues, though neither are aggressive fish. If the hatchets are stressed, they'll try to jump out of the tank, and even with a covered tank, could injure themselves.
Angelfish can also be aggressive at times, and can be bad at fin nipping, so I wouldn't mix them with gouramis.
If it were me, I would choose either the hatchets or killis to occupy the top area of the tank, choose no more than 2 species of midwater schooling fish (rainbows, danios, tetras), a group of 8-10 corydoras for the bottom, and go with a single gourami (or 2-3 dwarf gouramis, as dwarves seem to be more peaceful to their own kind).
That will keep the tank plenty stocked, but not to the point that it becomes overwhelming to the eyes to watch.

Wow, that would be a busy tank when stocked. You didn't say how many of each fish you were planning on stocking though.
To begin with, I would leave the jewel cichlids out altogether. They can be pretty aggressive, and won't do well in a community tank.
The danios, hatchets, tetras, and rainbows are all schooling fish, and won't thrive if they're alone in the tank. All should be in groups of at least 5 fish, with more being preferable.
I've never tried mixing killifish species in the same tank, but killis are usually fairly peaceful, so they may be ok. Hopefully, someone with more killi experience can weigh in on that.
The hatchets and the killis will both want to occupy the top areas of the tank, however, and that may cause some issues, though neither are aggressive fish. If the hatchets are stressed, they'll try to jump out of the tank, and even with a covered tank, could injure themselves.
Angelfish can also be aggressive at times, and can be bad at fin nipping, so I wouldn't mix them with gouramis.
If it were me, I would choose either the hatchets or killis to occupy the top area of the tank, choose no more than 2 species of midwater schooling fish (rainbows, danios, tetras), a group of 8-10 corydoras for the bottom, and go with a single gourami (or 2-3 dwarf gouramis, as dwarves seem to be more peaceful to their own kind).
That will keep the tank plenty stocked, but not to the point that it becomes overwhelming to the eyes to watch.

Thank you very much for your input! I have done some more research and have changed my list so how does this tank sound

- [ ] 8-10 Cory’s
- [ ] Neon tetra 20-40
- [ ] 2-3 dwarf gourami
- [x] Guppies 5-10 (maybe)
- [ ] eastern rainbow fish 10-15

Thank you very much for your input! I have done some more research and have changed my list so how does this tank sound

- [ ] 8-10 Cory’s
- [ ] Neon tetra 20-40
- [ ] 2-3 dwarf gourami

I also forgot if possible some Denison Barbs

I also forgot if possible some Denison Barbs

Also sorry what do you think the best amount of each of these fish is? I want tons of the schooling fish and also a lot of the larger ones but not too many

- [ ] 8-10 Cory’s
- [ ] Neon tetra 20-40
- [ ] 2-3 dwarf gourami

I'm not familiar with eastern rainbows, but this seems fine to me with one caveat: Dwarf gouarmis often have what's called iridovirus and, as far as I know, it's not really treatable. I love DG's , but I would avoid them. If you like small gouarmis, the honey dwarf is an excellent choice.

Plus one on staying away from Dwarf Gouramis..
A 75 is good sized ,go for a pair of pearls...
The denisons are great fish ,get 5+ the are schooling fish.

We love our Panda cory cats. They were not my first choice but my husband and daughter wanted them. They are fairly small and quite cute in my opinion(they have become a tank favorite).

Back
Top Bottom