Are they all compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay guys it's me again. My 75 gallon had a disaster of a bacterial bloom during cycling but it is all better now and it will be a few weeks till I start adding fish again.

Here's what I have ALREADY: 2 angelfish, 1 peacock eel, 2 pictus catfish, 4 mystery snails, 1 Cory cat(there is a story behind this and I will be adding more to give him friends), and 1 dwarf fire belly gourami.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421723967.811968.jpg

According to AqAdvisor, this list is compatible, besides the neon tetras but I'm not too worried about them right now. I want real opinions other than computer generation. do you think they will all get along?

Filtration: cascade 1000 canister filter, and an Aquaclear 700. The list says I'm overstocked obviously but it says my filtration is still above 100% making is suitable.

OPINIONS?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The stocking level and filtration capacity are two different things. Filtration capacity...you could handle the bioload. Stocking level means there won't be enough space in the tank for these fish to thrive.

I think you should eliminate one or both of the German blue rams and cut out the boesemani rainbows. Rainbows need a lot of space to swim around and with how crowded that list is going to be with aggressive angels and rams it would be miserable for them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The stocking level and filtration capacity are two different things. Filtration capacity...you could handle the bioload. Stocking level means there won't be enough space in the tank for these fish to thrive.

I think you should eliminate one or both of the German blue rams and cut out the boesemani rainbows. Rainbows need a lot of space to swim around and with how crowded that list is going to be with aggressive angels and rams it would be miserable for them.

I can take out the Rams. They were recommended to me as a more peaceful side of the cichlid family that would not hurt my other fish, obviously you have a differing a opinion. this is why I like to ask around first :)

I was really looking forward to the rainbows and nothing I have read says the angelfish will bother them as long as they are in a school of 5+. I can move around with the barbs/tetras I just really likes the rainbows from the start

Took off the neon tetras bringing down the tank stock to 114%

Honestly with how active my rainbows are I don't think they should be kept in anything less than a 6 foot tank. Other people disagree though, but with less than a 6 foot tank I'd think you should shoot for being under stocked just to give them some room without them irritating other fish with how fast and active they are.

Aqadvisor.com isn't the end all be all of stocking levels. Its a rather conservative guideline for newer aquarists. You can go above the stocking level but just be aware that you will have to monitor the nitrate level a little more closely. I would recommend against going over 150%, but under that is okay. The filtration capacity is a 100% useless number from aqadvisor.com so ignore it.

As for the stocking, rainbows do great in a 4 ft tank. Heck, in places besides aquarium advice it's accepted that they work fine in a 30g. I would go with a single pair of angels. I'd also drop the neon tetras and switch them with cardinal tetras instead. Cardinals get a little bit larger and have a higher temperature tolerance.

Aqadvisor.com isn't the end all be all of stocking levels. Its a rather conservative guideline for newer aquarists. You can go above the stocking level but just be aware that you will have to monitor the nitrate level a little more closely. I would recommend against going over 150%, but under that is okay. The filtration capacity is a 100% useless number from aqadvisor.com so ignore it.

As for the stocking, rainbows do great in a 4 ft tank. Heck, in places besides aquarium advice it's accepted that they work fine in a 30g. I would go with a single pair of angels. I'd also drop the neon tetras and switch them with cardinal tetras instead. Cardinals get a little bit larger and have a higher temperature tolerance.

Thanks I'll will look at the cardinals and I won't get any more Angels since I already have 2 :)

Mebbid what do you think of the Rams? Are they too aggressive?

Mebbid what do you think of the Rams? Are they too aggressive?

Nah, all the gbrs I've had were fairly peaceful fish. They occasionally nipped at a tank mate but it wasn't anything bad. They did pick on each other a bit though.

Funny how we are talking rams and aggression and here I am today just about to leave to the LFS to trade in my female ram.

She is mean!! Doesn't let anyone eat.

I have had other rams which are fine though. So it depends on the fish. Some angles can be mean while others very dosile. Fish have personalities.

I don't plan to keep rams no more, they tend to be over bred and immune system is weak. They get sick or die to easily for my liking. Plus their life span is really short compared to the rest of my stock

I rarely hear of a ram over 3 years old.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anything smaller than 2-3" is going to become pictus food. These guys get very good sized and are voracious. If you want a peaceful community with tetras and small barbs, I would trade in these guys.

The neons and barbs aren't good with the cat and I dont think the peacock eel either however I could be wrong about the eel as I have not owned one.

Anything smaller than 2-3" is going to become pictus food. These guys get very good sized and are voracious. If you want a peaceful community with tetras and small barbs, I would trade in these guys.

Right now my pictus are about 2 inches long each and can't even swallow a whole shrimp pellet. Their mouths will get big enough to eat a 2 inch fish???

The neons and barbs aren't good with the cat and I dont think the peacock eel either however I could be wrong about the eel as I have not owned one.

I have tiger barbs and I know they are very nippy (they are in a 10g by themselves) but I heard other barbs like the one I chose are likely more docile to fish bigger than them aka angelfish and pictus

I think I got the most docile gourami ever, I'm getting more plants for him but he never even bothers any of my other fish. Even the Angels keep to themselves.

Pictus cats top out at around 8". Eating a 2-3 inch fish is not unheard of or even rare, there are many testimonies of people's smaller schooling fish becoming snacks.

Everywhere I have read says the very max is 6 inches normally. I could stand corrected though.

I've seen larger, and there are some sites that list their top size at 10". Even so, there is no doubt in my mind that a 6" cat could take down a 2" narrow bodied tetra or barb. I honestly believe you will have issues with them in the future.

Okay well if something. Happens I have room in another tank to rehome them.

Back
Top Bottom