Are tiger barbs compatable with cherry barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 75 gallon with 6 albino tiger barbs and 6 tiger barbs. I just bought 6 cherry barbs after doing a little research saying they were compatible but after researching a little further I'm getting mixed opinions on this does anyone have any experience with these fish together? The cherry barbs are going to be in my quarantine tank for 2 weeks so I really want to know if they'll be okay before I drop the little guys into the display tank.

Hello Toby...

Good choice for a beginning fish. I researched them when I was cycling a tank with fish. These are tough little guys and able to tolerate most water conditions. But, keep the water pure with large water changes every week or two. Tigers are aggressive, but if you keep them in groups of 8 or more of their own species, they'll wrestle with each other and leave the rest of the fish pretty much alone. You have a larger tank, so your fish should be fine.

Barbs like a lot of floating plants, so drop some sprigs of Anacharis and Pennywort into the tank. It grows well just floating close to the light source. Some hiding places at the bottom are good too. Species of Anaubias, like nana and nangi attached to pieces of lava rock make a nice little jungle. You can just drop the plants on the substrate, no planting needed.

If you have some specific questions, check out the "Aquatic Community" website. I've found it pretty informative.

B

Since you have a large school of tiger barbs the cherry barbs should be okay. When I've kept cherry barbs they have never been troublesome fish. I would consider adding 2-4 more cherry barbs just so they feel really secure in a tank with such a large school of tiger barbs.

Since you have a large school of tiger barbs the cherry barbs should be okay. When I've kept cherry barbs they have never been troublesome fish. I would consider adding 2-4 more cherry barbs just so they feel really secure in a tank with such a large school of tiger barbs.

Ill do that ill probably grab 4 more today

I had cherry barbs and tiger barbs together a while ago and they were fine. May want to rearrange your aquarium a bit to make the tiger barbs less territorial when adding your new cherry barbs.

I don't know if you remember a posting that I made several weeks ago about cherry barbs picking on my old cory. I ended up taking them back to the LFS. I had 4 of them and every single one picked on that old cory-no other fish-just her. I felt so bad for her, that out they came. If one would get distracted, another would start picking on her. Odd behavior I guess for cherry barbs...

Back
Top Bottom