are we monsters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
so we were eating dinner last night (me and the GF) and I looked at my GF and said "do you wish we never got certain fish" and she replied yes.

To be honest I see our Mollies and Platys and a couple other fish and kind of wish we simply got some small schooling fish and a couple ornamentals like the angel, dwarf gourami and maybe one or 2 others.

Now that we KNOW what fish we like we kind of wish we could wittle them down.

Would it be a horrible thing to bring them to our local LFS for turn in and do a re org of the tank?

We caught the bug and went nuts.

Not at all. So long as you responsibly rehome them it's totally acceptable.. I've done it a couple times. It's when you throw them in a pond or down the pipes.. that's not cool..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not at all. So long as you responsibly rehome them it's totally acceptable.. I've done it a couple times. It's when you throw them in a pond or down the pipes.. that's not cool..

Agree with Brookster!

I agree as well, I re homed all my fish so I could keep my elephant nose. I don't see a problem with it at all.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

I'm with brookster and everyone else. Friends I know always are like "I am just gonna throw him in the creek" So I always end up with unwanted fish for a while.

Agreed with above. If you don't enjoy the fish you have then you tend to not care for them as well as you could. As long as you responsibly rehome them there's nothing wrong with swapping them for something that gets you excited about your tank again. Live bearers can be exhausting to keep with how much they breed.

There's nothing wrong with regretting a fish purchase and rehousing that fish, I've done it before. The problem is when people release their fish. There are so many uncertainties and it can result in major ecological harm.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Releasing a fish in a random pond of stream is almost as horrible as releasing a hamster in the forest.

That being said, where to you guys usually take your unwanted fish?

My LFS takes fish for both donations or store credit, depending on how much they think they can resell them for. Craigslist and local aquarium clubs are good options as well.

Try the classifides here if your LFS won't take them- there might be someone local enough To you who might pick them up or someone willing to pay shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try the classifides here if your LFS won't take them- there might be someone local enough To you who might pick them up or someone willing to pay shipping

Im pretty sure my LFS will take them. Honestly there would be quite a few.

But minimum like 2 mollies and my flying fox. I may decide on my 2 platys to.

Just keep an
angel (as hes getting bigger and will prob have to trade him down eventually)
dwarf gourami red flame
And maybe 2 new ornament fish, blue acara or ram and something else neat
pleco
rainbow shark
Small 5 school of neon tetras

OMG Im overstocked! theyre all small for now thank god

What size tank do you have?

Also, I'd get cardinal tetras instead of neons if you're considering rams or an angel. Rams need far warmer water than neons like, and angels tend to snack on neons. Cardinals like the warmer water the rams need, and are just big enough they don't usually get snacked on.

What size tank do you have?

Also, I'd get cardinal tetras instead of neons if you're considering rams or an angel. Rams need far warmer water than neons like, and angels tend to snack on neons. Cardinals like the warmer water the rams need, and are just big enough they don't usually get snacked on.

its a 30 gallon

its a 30 gallon

I'd avoid the rainbow shark then. They're very teritorial when kept in that small a tank. They do best in a 50g or larger with few other bottom feeders and a nice hidey hole in the corner that they can be grumpy hermits in.

Once you drop the shark then an angel, dwarf gourami, ram, BN pleco (or some other smaller pleco), and a school of cardinal tetras should be fine together and won't be overstocked. The acara may work as well, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say for certain if they're compatible.

They are correct about going with cardinals instead of neons. They tend to be a little hardier too and can deal with ph/temp differences easier than neons :)

I would skip the shark and make sure to get one of the smaller types of plecos unless you plan on upgrading the tank in the fairly near future

Make sure you add more aggressive fish last too

I would skip the shark and make sure to get one of the smaller types of plecos unless you plan on upgrading the tank in the fairly near future

Make sure you add more aggressive fish last too

its a bushynose pleco

Is that list what you currently have or wish to have??

so we were eating dinner last night (me and the GF) and I looked at my GF and said "do you wish we never got certain fish" and she replied yes.

To be honest I see our Mollies and Platys and a couple other fish and kind of wish we simply got some small schooling fish and a couple ornamentals like the angel, dwarf gourami and maybe one or 2 others.

Now that we KNOW what fish we like we kind of wish we could wittle them down.

Would it be a horrible thing to bring them to our local LFS for turn in and do a re org of the tank?

We caught the bug and went nuts.

No you are not! if you are able to get the fish re-homed, there is nothing wrong with this. It will be better for you and the fish. Having a fish that you do not like will be a bad thing. This will make you less likely to devote the time and energy needed for your aquarium.

With that being said, I did the same thing. My story in readers digest edition is; I was asked to watch a tank while the owner was finishing their new home. 3 of the 6 fish died and there was only a chinese algae eater and 2 angel fish. I bought 2 blue rams (good move from petsmart advise) and then a week later got 2 red zebras, bad advise from petsmart this time, they started nipping the fins of the angels and since i did not like the angel, i got rid of them since the owner gave me the tank as he did not want it. Then my rams started getting nipped and one died. rather than getting rid of the zebra since i knew they were not a good combination, i kept them and got other cichlids. A week later i had enough and returned all of the fish and gave the 2 zebras away, well all but the male blue ram.

After that, i then did my research and started looking into going planted and have never been happier with my fish selection. 13 neon tetras, 4 guppies (3 now) and 2 blue rams.

The point i am trying to convey is that don't settle or think you will come to like them. simply get rid of them and get what you really want. just make sure you do it the right way. simply flushing them or releasing them is not a good idea. However, getting the re-homed is. PetCo will take unwanted fish and simply give them away to someone who actually wants that type of fish. That could be an easy option for you as well.

Is that list what you currently have or wish to have??

Have currently

I talked with her today and she says she feels guilty returning them to the store. I would never flush or release

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom