Are we moraly wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
I just saw the movie Cove.... I witnessed one of the most devasting acts of human...Dolphins arebeing slaughtered from September-March... It's obvious that that's moraly wrong..... My question is, are we moraly wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know that it's not thier natural habitat?

Sorry if I am missing your point, but I do not see the connection between these issues. Also, many people do not find that morally wrong. Morals are subjective. I am certainly not saying I agree with the practices shown in The Cove, but it is not a given that its immoral to everybody.
But, my answer is that I do not think it is morally wrong to keep fish in tanks. As long as we give them space to grow, proper food, clean water, and do not subject them to excess stress, I personally see nothing wrong with it. Just because it is not their natural habitat does not mean it is wrong. Aquarium keeping provides people with joy, gives some local populations a chance to sell fish in order to make a living, teaches people about fish, allows for captive breeding programs that even extent to fish species which are extinct in the wild. Of course, not everybody is a responsible fish-keeper, but I think I am and I not in any way consider that immoral. JMO though.

Dolphins are not fish. This is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Well, I can't help but hope that one day everyone will think slaughtering dolphins is immoral. :( IMO animal cruelty is one of the most heinous things humans are doing on this planet, right after human cruelty, of course.

But as to your question, I don't feel great about keeping wild caught fish. I do have some, and I tend to feel a bit guilty about it. I hope to turn that around by breeding said fish, if possible, and selling tank bred versions. But I really don't like it, and feel a thousand times better about purchasing tank bred fish. I'm really a total bleeding heart for all creatures. I will from time to time look at my parakeets in their cage or my turtle in his tank and wonder..should they even be pets? And who can really say? If we're asking ourselves these questions, chances are we really care about our pets and our taking excellent care of them. I think that's what it all comes down to. Those not taking proper care of their pet, whatever the pet may be, are those who are doing something morally wrong.

There are tons of things about the pet trade that drive me nuts. I do think things could be done better, in a way that's more repsectful to all living beings.

I just saw the movie Cove.... I witnessed one of the most devasting acts of human...Dolphins arebeing slaughtered from September-March... It's obvious that that's moraly wrong..... My question is, are we moraly wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know that it's not thier natural habitat?

I understand that actually seeing the events and practices documented in the movie can make a person reconsider and re-evaluate how animals are treated, including aquarium animals.

And that's probably what led you to ponder whether we are morally wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know it is not their natural habitat. No, I don't think it's wrong to keep them outside their natural habitat.

However, it does make me sad to know many live in bad unhealthy conditions, suffer and die. I don't read the "unhealthy fish" forum anymore, it's too sad, in part because most, or maybe almost all of it is preventable.

If anything, we may be morally wrong for not insisting that the whole industry from breeders to stores to ourselves improve how we treat and care for our fish.

I've never understood the dolphin/whale thing, apart from overharvesting, why can't they be eaten again? Apart from cultural upbringing, what makes people view them different from a cow or something else that we readily eat?

jetajockey said:
I've never understood the dolphin/whale thing, apart from overharvesting, why can't they be eaten again? Apart from cultural upbringing, what makes people view them different from a cow or something else that we readily eat?

I agree with you jeta but the argument behind it is that they are self aware non human "beings" like chimps which is kinda understandable

Mrc8858 said:
I agree with you jeta but the argument behind it is that they are self aware non human "beings" like chimps which is kinda understandable

+1. I think that's the main problem behind it. They are more intelligent than a cow or sheep or whatever, therefore have different feelings. They may feel pain like us where as a less intelligent animal might not. Not saying less intelligent animals don't feel pain of course.

Ya don't get me wrong if its got a pulse fry it up and ill try it lol... but on a more serious note some of the animals which are an issue are also endangered or close to becoming endangered so unless you don't have means to another food source like some tribes in new Zealand I feel as though you shouldnt eat or kill such creatures because they do it out of necessity and use every part of the creature

CatmanDru said:
I understand that actually seeing the events and practices documented in the movie can make a person reconsider and re-evaluate how animals are treated, including aquarium animals.

And that's probably what led you to ponder whether we are morally wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know it is not their natural habitat. No, I don't think it's wrong to keep them outside their natural habitat.

However, it does make me sad to know many live in bad unhealthy conditions, suffer and die. I don't read the "unhealthy fish" forum anymore, it's too sad, in part because most, or maybe almost all of it is preventable.

If anything, we may be morally wrong for not insisting that the whole industry from breeders to stores to ourselves improve how we treat and care for our fish.

I was sad the animals being killed and salughter so viciously... The thing that I don't undersad is that... Dolphin is not high on the supply and demand scale.... I beleive the number was 23000 dolphins between sept-march....(mind you we are in November).... Why are they bein killed?I guess it's just hard for me to see animals being to violently acted against.... In japan they say they kill bc it's considered "pest control"..their excuse is that dolphins eat other fish that is collapsing the marine wild life which then links to suffering fisheries.....the japan gov labels dolphin meat as other meats in order to sell them... It's really confusing to me..... I kills me to hear them screaming as they are being killed.....

I would not kill dolphins and find it a reprehensible cowardly act.... why do humans do it? Because they can.

I do not feel that fishkeeping is at all related to this, as I have only tank-raised fish. My dogs are all rescues that would otherwise be euthanized.

Another angle at which to look at it from the aquarist aspect is the fact that the natural habitat of some (sadly becoming more) species of popular aquarium fish are being destroyed to build yet another cul-de-sac condo, some of the only options short of extinction IS IN an aquarium, being fed,heated and cared for in the only environment left for them. (look on wiki and see how many popular fish breeds are endangered...)

Do you feel morally wrong for keeping dogs? Or cats? All pets are originally wild animals, domesticated are they not?

LyndaB said:
I would not kill dolphins and find it a reprehensible cowardly act.... why do humans do it? Because they can.

I do not feel that fishkeeping is at all related to this, as I have only tank-raised fish. My dogs are all rescues that would otherwise be euthanized.

Reconsider your wording. While it may be reprehensible, I doubt it can be called cowardly....

I didnt feel wrong for giving my dog the best life he can ask for.

I didn't feel wrong when we had to have him put down due to having cancer and peeing blood.

If he was a wild animal he would've suffered alone with that, instead he had a loving family there to care for him.

"Morality and ethicality" are what a person decides for themselves really

Reconsider your wording. While it may be reprehensible, I doubt it can be called cowardly....

I believe it is cowardly. To me personally, that represents that they are doing it because they can. You may feel free to use another word to represent your own thoughts, but please leave mine as they are written. Thanks.

I believe it is cowardly. To me personally, that represents that they are doing it because they can. You may feel free to use another word to represent your own thoughts, but please leave mine as they are written. Thanks.

i would have to agree that in a way it is cowardly, not the fact they do kill them but for the fact they hide behind excuses for killing them.

I have seen documentaries on this subject and one of the main reasons is scientific research.

what does the slaughter of 23000 dolphins bring to light? that they are easy to kill?

just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom