armoured shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gingerpissflaps

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi.
i have an armoured shrimp which i bought 2 weeks ago, at 1st he was quite lively but now he wants to hide in the corner below the filter, he hasnt moved for 3 days now, i had to make sure he was still alive. his shell looks to have gone a kinda pinky colour instead of the brownish colour, i was wondering if he is shredding his shell, ive never heard of this before and dont know what to expect?
any thoughts? xx

i've googled armoured shrimp. He could be shedding or it could be a water quality issue since most places I've found any information said they need a well cycled and mature tank.

Some pictures I've found suggest the turning to pink is the shrimp trying to shed.

Shrimp molt (shedding the shell) when they are growing and will often molt when they are introduced to new water conditions. This could very well be what the shrimp is doing. They tend to hide when molting as it makes them vulnerable to predators until the new shell has hardened.

thanks for the advice, im sure he's molting, i found him trying to buiry himself under the gravel yesterday, he seems ok, so im not too worried, il keep an eye on him just to make sure. x

It might be a good idea to provide him with something to hide under or in while he molts? If there isn't already something in there to offer protection.

Back
Top Bottom