Arowana Aggressiveness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomeRandomGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I always found Arowanas to be a interesting fish. I have always wanted to keep one, but I only have a 20 gallon tank with 6 fish in it. ( I plan to upgrade it to a 29 gallon soon) Anyways I'm aware they are expensive, and aggressive and are usually alone or with their own kind, however I also found out they can be able to live with other species such as Koi, and Oscars, with little or no problems. I plan to buy one in the future when I have either a bigger tank or a pond.

So my question is...which arowana is the least aggressive to be able to be with other fish and what are the requirements?

arowanas need a much larger tank than a 29gal probably a 100 min

Or bigger, go check out the size of the kingofdiy arow on YouTube. That sucker has like a 300g to its own

Hard to determine which variety of arowana is the most docile. Most grow between 3 and 4 feet. The bigger the fish the larger the mouth.
Regarding tank size and tankmates, 125 as a juvenile, 250 as an adult. Compatible Cichlids: jaguar, festae, RIvulatus, Texas and dovii or other larger new world cichlids. I've never kept one, but another AA member, last week, had a cloudy water problem in a 125 gallon. i believe the member had a juvenile arowana in that tank.

There is a difference between being 'aggressive' and eating what fits in your mouth..
Arrows are not aggressive at all IMO.They are conspecific but that is the limit of aggression I have ever witnessed. I have watched them swim for years.
I have had a couple over that last 3 decades ,but never again.
No home aquarium is proper IMO.Now older and wiser they are still my favorite fish but I will never own one again out of respect for it.
I don't watch the 'social' channels ,but I heard Joeys jumped to its death.
Some mentor?

There is a difference between being 'aggressive' and eating what fits in your mouth..
Arrows are not aggressive at all IMO.They are conspecific but that is the limit of aggression I have ever witnessed. I have watched them swim for years.
I have had a couple over that last 3 decades ,but never again.
No home aquarium is proper IMO.Now older and wiser they are still my favorite fish but I will never own one again out of respect for it.
I don't watch the 'social' channels ,but I heard Joeys jumped to its death.
Some mentor?
Well his Arowana didn't actually jump to his death since he covered his ridiculously huge tank ( He should have just build a pond instead ) Anyway something happened in his tank that killed it.

even as a baby an arow would need a large tank a 29 wouldnt be great. get the bigger tank first then get an arow

even as a baby an arow would need a large tank a 29 wouldnt be great. get the bigger tank first then get an arow
Yep I know I need a tank way bigger than that or a pond, and I will get one in the future but now my question is, what Arowana would be recommended and which one is the least aggressive.

My arrow out grew his 55 in 6 month. moved him to the 125. Still barley enough room to turn around in.

moved him to a out side pool. built a four foot containing fence around it. put netting on top. He still managed to jump out. Had him three years and was still growing.

He died when he jumped out. He also shattered a 55 gal tank he was in.

Even a 250 gal tank is really to small for this fish. This fish needs a lot of swimming space that a tank can not give. 500 gal maybe.

if your a millionaire you can get a tank large enough to keep aro and Oscars together.

150 gallons is the minimum; 500 gallons is better. Some arowana are illegal to import into the U.S. because they are endangered. This is not a good fish to keep in a home aquarium. Most of the ones I have seen are kept in tanks way too small; it's cruel.

Arowanas are not aggressive. They will go for anything that can fit in its mouth and as we all know its mouth is huge. You can keep arowana if u have a tank large enough to accommodate such a fish which can be huge

This is my absolute dream fish, but that's it. It's a dream only. This guy is living the dream.
Even with this beautiful tank, these fish jump, as it is their nature to eat insects and other low flying things. I'm really not sure how he keeps this guy in the tank. Also, it seems like he would need special supports in his floor for these tanks and this kind of weight.

For me, it's a, "maybe next lifetime" fish.

Back
Top Bottom