ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! Pissed off today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! WE BE PIRATES!

Well that what I felt today, My only decent Corp. LFS went bad today. It was the Petsupermarket here in orlando.

For 4 years, they kept their tanks as clean as possible, no dead fish, no advertising *cides, and did their Pwc and Grav/Vac.

Well I went their to get shampoo for my dog, and decided to mosey on over to the fish section. What I saw in horror! *pyscho theme playing*

The large goldfish tank was overstock and 20% of the water must have been taken out for some reason. The feeder guppy fish wasn't looking too hot, about 2 dozen of them stuck to the intake of a sponge filter. The 20 tank collection remain clean. (I.e gravel/plants clean)
but this one tank, I can not forget, it was the Tiger Barbs/Black Skirt Tetras. As you face the tank, on the right inward corner there were a pile of dead Barbs and tetras, and the living were eating the dead.
some dead angels and fancy guppies later.

I finally left the section, and went to look at some tanks, and I was looking at a 29Gal tank. Just to see how much it would cost and I started to feel the edges of the corner of the tank, just to see how the quality on the tank was, and it was pretty shotty. I cut my finger open on a piece of silicon that was sticking out, the glass sides weren't flush.

so I bought my shampoo and frontline plus and went home, well not exactly, I stopped for a milkshake then I went home.

But ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! WE BE PIRATES! WE STEAL THE TANKS AND SAVE THE FISHES!

I think there should be a organization like the Health Dept. or United States Dept. of Agriculture, but instead of restaurant and food regulation. it would be for well keeping of fishes. They would need a license to sale fish, and monthly inspections of pet stores aqua section and maintenance.
And if the organization found that the conditions of the tank were unacceptable, that they would have a week to correct the violation. If the problem still remains, they could pull the licenses and immediately take the fishes away.

I don't know if it would work but its an idea. because I'm tired of seeing sick or dead fish and the lack of experience and information of employees.
They should be fined heavily.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

MP

Re: ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! *beep* off today!

Mad Professor said:
[

For 4 years, they kept their tanks as clean as possible, no dead fish, no advertising *cides, and did their Pwc and Grav/Vac.

Perhaps today was just a particularly bad day. If things usually look great then I would cut them some slack. It's almost impossible for any fish store not to have a bad day now and then.

Sue the makers of the tank for putting such dangerous products out!

Tell the pet store owner that you cut yourself on the tank and if they don't take them off the shelves, sue them as well.

That really stinks. I lived in Orlando for eight years and still have family there. It seems like every time I go visit, there are less and less fish stores there.

I feel for ya, but nobody's perfect. I would go back in a week or two and see if anythings improved. Then make your judgement call whether the place has turned sour or not. It's possible that they had some new employees who had no idea what they were doing and screwed things up. Anything could've happened.

yeah well orlando is known for 2 things. The lack of Broadband Internet providers, and Aqaurium Stores. LOL!

yeah it sucks living near downtown. lol!

Here's what I'd do. Next time you go, if things still looked the same, talk to the owner, and give your input. Not in a mean way, but in a professional way, with emphasis on the care of the fish. And if things were great before, let him know that as well, and that you have appreciated their service in the past. And most of all, be totally honest. I'm sure others might have talked to the employees or the owner, and another concerned customer might help bring things together.

As for sueing, bad idea. So many people are sue-happy. Just bring out all the truths in an open and professional manner. JMHO. :)

Yeah I'm going to wait and see what happens, it might get better next week. But if they don't, screw it, because most employers and employees don't give a ****. sorry for using such a word but thats how I see petco/petsmart and petland feel about animals and fish.

petsupermarket is one of those Corp. pet stores like petsmart and petco.

but I was lucky because this one actually took care of their fish.
But now I guess theirs no store for me left unless I go to "fishy business" in longwood FL. Now Thats Love for this hobby.

But lets see what happens in the following week..

And I bet if you went into business, you'd steal all the business. :) Great aquariums, great fish, great care, and great customer service. And losses would be close to nil with proper care of the fish, and much fewer returns/dead fish. :)

If I went into business, that's how I'd be. I can't understand why people in the business just would let the fish go to waste. I think fish should have rights too, and should have an agency to help protect them, as you stated in the first post. Good luck with what you do. :)

Recently, I actually semi-educated the guy who runs the fish section at my Walmart. You know, basic stuff as far as care and some fishe's that could not be mixed. Also which ones require large tanks. He was glad for the advice. He said that when he was hired, they just stuck him back there and never asked if he had any experience with fish.

The company which made the tank that cut your hand should have some sort of quality check policy. They either don't have one or a bad one just slipped through. If all the tanks made by the same company are so jaged and sharp, they deserve to be sued.

If it was just a one in a million thing then maybe a letter to them letting them know how dangerous their product is would probably be a better way to go.

Back
Top Bottom